octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default removing ear tubes?

Have any of you had to have tubes removed from your DC's ear if they did not fall out on their own? DS got tubes two years ago. One fell out last year without any problems. This morning, DH took DS to the ENT for a routine follow-up and he said that the remaining tube has not budged yet. He said that some docs will let the tube(s) remain in place for longer than others. Some docs remove them if they have not fallen out on their own after a while, because there may be increased risk of damage to the eardrum if they remain for too long. DS has another appointment in December and we will discuss what to do if it still hasn't budged. Just wondering what sorts of experiences others have had in this area. TIA!

Jerilyn
    DS, 10/03
    DD, 3/06

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: removing ear tubes?

Well, mine were removed with this long long instrument when I was about six, two years later but I imagine that they'd fallen out and were in the ear canal. DS's have both fallen out, six and eight months after; one was taken by the ped, as it was near to the opening of the ear, but the other is still far within the ear canal, but not inside the drum anymore. Waiting for that sucker to fall out of his ear. As for not falling out of the eardrum at all, I have no experience, but I don't think that can be removed without anesthesia. Interested in hearing what the outcome is. Good luck!

I had a tube in one year as an adult, and I had it removed. I had a different type of tube than is usually given to kids, and it doesn't tend to fall out on its own. The removal was much quicker and less painful than the insertion; I didn't have sedation or anesthesia for either.

-Ry,
    mom to Max, age 1.5
    and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The ENT removed the first tube from DS's ear in the office without sedation, but it was out of the ear drum and just sitting in his ear canal. He actually put it on a paperclip and gave it to DS. It is amazing how tiny the thing is! Since this one hasn't budged yet, the doctor said that it would probably require general anesthesia if we end up needing to remove it. He said that DS has been good about sitting very still when he looks in his ears, but with very young children, they generally don't do the removal in the office as they would for adults. He said there would be a couple of moments of discomfort with the removal and that DS might wiggle as a result. DH didn't ask if they could use local anesthesia/ numbing drops and do it in the office. That would be my preference, if it comes to it. I don't love the idea of DS going under general anesthesia again. :(
    Jerilyn
    DS, 10/03
    DD, 3/06

Yes, my son had eartubes removed after they had been in his ears over 18 months. It was a quick easy procedure, but he did have to go under anesthetia again.

thomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We're going through the same thing with ds. His 2nd set of tubes were placed in May 2005. One fell out a year ago but the hole hadn't closed as of 6 months ago. We find out next month if the other tube has finally fallen out and if the hole of the first ear has closed. Our ent wasn't worried or talking about surgery...yet. We're hoping he doesn't need to go under gen. anesth. again...he's had two sets of tubes plus 3 other surgeries before the age of 2.

Kim
    ds&dd 5/03