Default Canon users- I need some help

I have decided to get a new camera and have decided on a canon.
    I am having a hard time choosing a model. I want something that is easy to use and around $350 or less.
    I really want something with a good zoom but only the SLR cameras come with more than 4x zoom. I really don't want all the features of a SLR and so don't want to pay for them either.
    My questions are
    Is there a noticeable difference between a 3x and 4x zoom?
    Do I need image stabilization with zooms this small?
    Do all the current canon models have good movie quality?
    thanks

Default RE: Canon users- I need some help

Being the owner of a Canon S40, Canon SD450, Canon S3, and most recently a Nikon D40, here's my two cents:

a) I really like how small and convinient my SD450 is. It stays in my purse/diaper bag wherever I go. If I were to buy another compact P&S today that I can carry in my pocket or carry in my purse, I would get a SD850 or SD700. SD850 retails for $400 but you can get it on Amazon for around $355.

b) Zoom & IS - my Canon S3 IS has a 12x optical zoom, which is one of the reasons I bought it for, because at the time I didn't want to take the plunge and get a DSLR. The problem is, my main subject of shooting is my two-year-old DD, who gives me about two seconds of stillness at a time. So even though the S3 comes with IS, I rarely use the zoom feature on either camera. For me, anti-shake almost doesn't matter because I have a moving target and it becomes a shutter speed and focusing problem. But pictures of zoomed-in still objects come out great because of IS. With an 3x or 4x zoom, though, I imagine it wouldn't be as bad. Personally I don't think there's a big difference between a 3x and 4x zoom. Again, it depends on what you mainly use it for.

c) Both my SD450 and S3 capture excellent videos.
    - K

DD '05, DS '07

I have the SD700 IS and really love it. Small enough to fit in my pockets but takes great pictures. I find the IS is a great feature personally. I had a Sony cyber-shot before this one and I can tell a different when taking pictures on the move, etc.

Thanks for your opinions :)