kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I have red paint that I need to test for lead --- where can I find a kit?

We need to test my old Radio Flyer wagon to see if it has lead paint on it and unfortunately all we can find are swabs that you can't use on red paint? Has anyone found a kit at a BM store that you can use on red paint? TIA!
    Kim

Default I have red paint that I need to test for lead --- where can I find a kit?

We need to test my old Radio Flyer wagon to see if it has lead paint on it and unfortunately all we can find are swabs that you can't use on red paint? Has anyone found a kit at a BM store that you can use on red paint? TIA!
    Kim

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: I have red paint that I need to test for lead --- where can I find a kit?

When the Thomas the Train recall started, I believe I read that you can get a lead test kit at Home Depot to test any kind of paint for lead. I have been meaning to look into it to check my wooden toys, but haven't gotten around to it. I'd look at HD...paint department.

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: I have red paint that I need to test for lead --- where can I find a kit?

When the Thomas the Train recall started, I believe I read that you can get a lead test kit at Home Depot to test any kind of paint for lead. I have been meaning to look into it to check my wooden toys, but haven't gotten around to it. I'd look at HD...paint department.

That is where we got ours, but unfortunately, the postitive indicator is pink or red if there is lead in the paint. The red paint rubs right off the wagon and makes the swab red. Thanks though!
    Kim

That is where we got ours, but unfortunately, the postitive indicator is pink or red if there is lead in the paint. The red paint rubs right off the wagon and makes the swab red. Thanks though!
    Kim

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can contact your local department of health or department of environmental services or cooperative extension office for a kit or list of labs. Or look up environmental labs in your phone book. I used to work for one, we testing anything you could throw at us for lead and hundreds of other chemicals and toxins. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to go, and you know they will be accurate, they are typically certified.

Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can contact your local department of health or department of environmental services or cooperative extension office for a kit or list of labs. Or look up environmental labs in your phone book. I used to work for one, we testing anything you could throw at us for lead and hundreds of other chemicals and toxins. This is a very easy and inexpensive way to go, and you know they will be accurate, they are typically certified.

Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.