Default Messenger Bags/Brief Case Recommendations?

My 10 yr old LL Bean briefcase/bag has finally bit the dust. (due to the fact that I left a bag of celery in there for a week and it rotted and leaked ewwwwwwww)

What type of bag do you use/like/saw that you want to get? It has to be nylon/tough fabric (no leather) and it has to have plenty of organizing pockets (no regular totes). There are lots of new ones out there, I want to broaden my search a bit.

Thanks!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

shilo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Messenger Bags/Brief Case Recommendations?

i got DH a tom binh empire builder for xmas. it's not cheap (especially once you add the strap and 'brain cell' laptop sleeve thing), but the thing really is amazingly well thought out. the brain cell is handy for when you just need to grab the laptop or when you just want the bag and want to ditch the laptop. has made it more versatile for him to only be carrying the weight of what he needs.
    www.tombinh.com

i looked a lot at timbuk2's and would have been a second choice.
    timbuk2.com

several of DH's friends at work carry a chrome.
    chromebags.com

hth, lori
    Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like Timbuk2 and Crumpler bags.

Also, check Sierra Trading Post. Lots of bargains there! My husband recently got a laptop that is "widescreen", it was hard to find a bag for it. Lucked out and found one he really likes on STP. For $30!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ack, the 'net just ate my post.

Try LL Bean and see if they will replace the bag for you under warranty.

Also, I really like Lands End attaches.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/CottonCan...RCH=PAGE_66241

That is the one I have and it has wonderful internal organization. They have others if you need more room, different fabric, etc. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

I have a few Timbuk2 bags and don't like them. Shoulder strap is too wide, big black hole effect (even though light interior). A bit too "bike courier" looking for my taste.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

Awww... I feel your pain! My ultimate favorite (pre-baby) messenger bag broke a while back - the Banana Republic paratrooper bag... I had it since high school and I totally mourned! It's beyond repair as the strap attachment tore off in a shredded fashion (does that make sense?).

Anyway, Campmor.com is another resource to check out for bags. They're mostly camping gear but they have amazing sales sometimes, kinda like Sierra Trading Post.

Awww... I feel your pain! My ultimate favorite (pre-baby) messenger bag broke a while back - the Banana Republic paratrooper bag... I had it since high school and I totally mourned! It's beyond repair as the strap attachment tore off in a shredded fashion (does that make sense?).

Anyway, Campmor.com is another resource to check out for bags. They're mostly camping gear but they have amazing sales sometimes, kinda like Sierra Trading Post.

Thanks for the ideas. Sierra Trading Post had awesome deals on Timbuk2 bags but the Timbuk2 site would let you custom design your bag. I killed 2 Lands End canvas attaches in grad school. I am awful on bags. I checked out REI and it looks like they have a cool bag--I will got take a look this weekend. Any other ideas appreciated.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Thanks for the ideas. Sierra Trading Post had awesome deals on Timbuk2 bags but the Timbuk2 site would let you custom design your bag. I killed 2 Lands End canvas attaches in grad school. I am awful on bags. I checked out REI and it looks like they have a cool bag--I will got take a look this weekend. Any other ideas appreciated.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05