Default DH considering taking a job with the railroad. Anyone BTDT?

It would be a huge move for us, taking us and our two DS's away from family and home, but if it's worth it...

Anyone have any experience with the railroad that they can share?

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: DH considering taking a job with the railroad. Anyone BTDT?

I PMd you :)
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This sounds so interesting! What kind of railroad job, if you don't mind sharing? And how would it work for your family? I'm just curious. :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
    And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This sounds so interesting! What kind of railroad job, if you don't mind sharing? And how would it work for your family? I'm just curious. :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
    And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

He is considering a career along the transportation management path. I'm not exactly what that entails, other than moving our family from Georgia (where one set of grandparents live 90 minutes away and the other set lives 2 minutes away) to somewhere like Fort Worth or Denver or Chicago... and then move elsewhere after the initial training. BIG changes. DH is tired of dead-end management jobs and is hoping this career path my offer some upward mobility.

He is considering a career along the transportation management path. I'm not exactly what that entails, other than moving our family from Georgia (where one set of grandparents live 90 minutes away and the other set lives 2 minutes away) to somewhere like Fort Worth or Denver or Chicago... and then move elsewhere after the initial training. BIG changes. DH is tired of dead-end management jobs and is hoping this career path my offer some upward mobility.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have any advice or experience to share, but EVERY time I see your title, I start mentally humming, "I've been working on the railroad..." :P

Fort Worth is a great place!

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have any advice or experience to share, but EVERY time I see your title, I start mentally humming, "I've been working on the railroad..." :P

Fort Worth is a great place!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It may be different since your DH is in mgmt, but I have a friend whose DH works for amtrak as a conductor and his hours are really horrible. I feel so bad for her, b/c they have a three yr old and a young baby and many times she is like a single mom. She said that her DH's hrs are all over the place, and not until he moves up, can he get a more regular schedule. Otherwise, his schedule is all over the board and in the most recent stint, he's worked 7 days in a row, with no break in sight. She misses her DH so much. If he turns down any work, then they can hold it against him later on, so it is kind of like he is on call all of the time too. His dad finally got moved up, I think it took almost ten yrs of work before he got moved up to the point where he actually was able to get a regular schedule. I am sure mgmt won't have as erratic hours as my friend's husband's job, but it doesn't hurt to clarify what type of hrs he will be expected to work ahead of time.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It may be different since your DH is in mgmt, but I have a friend whose DH works for amtrak as a conductor and his hours are really horrible. I feel so bad for her, b/c they have a three yr old and a young baby and many times she is like a single mom. She said that her DH's hrs are all over the place, and not until he moves up, can he get a more regular schedule. Otherwise, his schedule is all over the board and in the most recent stint, he's worked 7 days in a row, with no break in sight. She misses her DH so much. If he turns down any work, then they can hold it against him later on, so it is kind of like he is on call all of the time too. His dad finally got moved up, I think it took almost ten yrs of work before he got moved up to the point where he actually was able to get a regular schedule. I am sure mgmt won't have as erratic hours as my friend's husband's job, but it doesn't hurt to clarify what type of hrs he will be expected to work ahead of time.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs