Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jess is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Those who belong to Costco/BJ's: Is it worth it?

Since I have grown dependent on the Horizon single serve milk boxes, I was looking for a place to by them other than Amazon--I was thinking of joining Costco or BJ's--but would love feedback as to whether those of you who are current members believe it is worth it? I would be buying stuff other than just the milk, but am wondering if it's going to be worth the membership price. Thanks! :)

BillK is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Those who belong to Costco/BJ's: Is it worth it?

No Horizon milk at my Costco. I do love Costco though and think it's worth it - LOVE their paper products.
    ~Bill

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Big huge Costco fan. I think it's very worth it, tho I'm not sure if mine carries Horizon, either. They do, however, have organic milk, tho I don't get mine there. They also carry Stoneyfield Farms smoothies. Anyway, for the paper products alone, the place is worth it.

tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My Costco has Horizon single serve boxes, but only chocolate milk.

It's definitely worth it. We buy 2 gallons of milk there every week or so for maybe $3.xx. Savings on milk alone is worth it in our household.

If you do a search, you'll find posts from many Costco devotees.
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

Love, love, love Costco.
    Candy

Matthew 5/02
    Ethan 10/07
    Praying for Pink in 2013/2014

Also, if it's possible, you can share the membership with other family members, maybe other friends as well? I know my Dad put me on his membership (and we live in different states). I wouldn't have joined Costco because we have a BJ's in our town (that I never go to!) and the closest Costco is about 30-40 minutes away, but heck, for free I'll go.

Plus, they have the best price on Polly-O string cheese I've ever seen and it's actually worth it for me to just go buy a bunch of cheese and freeze it!

Debbie

http://[img]http://tickers.baby-gaga....png[/img]

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We joined Costco pre-kids because of the meat. We would buy the max packs and put enough for one dinner in ziploc bags and freeze them. It was very efficient when I was working, and now it makes meal planning pretty easy. We also buy Dora's diapers there (Kirkland brand), canned chicken, Halloween candy, king crab legs when they go on sale, and occasionally their ready made salad or dinners. Oh, Dh also buys stamps and we get our film photos developed there. We also do our Christmas cards at Costco.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

The Costco nearest to us is still 40 minutes away (impractical for me), so we have a BJs membership. I've heard great things about Costco and if it were closer I would join in a heartbeat. I like BJs pretty well. I think it saves us money and since we're pretty boring, um, I mean, consistent with what we eat (DH especially, and he eats a lot!) I can stock up, and assuming I buy enough milk, I won't have to go to the store for two weeks. Both of us end up stuck at work late quite often, and it is great not to have to stop at the store on the way home because we're out of something we need for dinner. Also, it does stop the impulse buying. I might want some chocolate covered pretzels, but I don't want to spend $20 to buy 10 pounds of them. :)

The one thing that annoys me sometimes is if we're out of toilet paper I don't necessarily want to buy the 30-roll package since we don't really have room to store that much of it! So off to Target I go, and the impulse buying begins. ;)

Sarah

Auntie to my seven (soon to be eight!) munchkins, and TTC in October!!!

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We belong to BJ's and if you have the storage space IMO it is totally worth it even just for the diapers and paper products. We buy huge things of TP, tissues and paper towels that are a great savings. We also buy diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, and cereal, snack bars, huge things of individual serving applesauce. We go about once a month and stock up.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

We've had both Costco and BJs memberships. Both worthwhile but I prefer Costco because their produce and prepared foods are better. If you find it's not saving you enough, I've been told at both clubs that you can cancel your membership and get a full refund.

But our Costco only has single-serve Horizon in chocolate, no other flavors. If I recall correctly, BJs also only had chocolate milk. But BJs did have single serve soymilk in vanilla and chocolate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast