Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bunnisa is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Those who belong to Costco/BJ's: Is it worth it?

I love Costco -- dairy products cost half as much, and we get our dog food there as well (Diamond brand, Kirkland labeled).

HOWEVER:

There's no way it actually saves us money. I've never left that place without spending $300. And I still have to go to the regular grocery store (for produce not sold by the crate, for organic whole milk that's not ultra-pasturized, etc).

So in a nutshell, I avoid going more than once every 3 months. It's a dangerous place! ;)

DH & I joke about all the neat things they have for around $30. It's amazing how much you can rack up quickly with all of those $30 deals that you didn't know you *needed*. :)

...blessed wife and mama to three!

"We must remember that life begins at home and we must also remember that the future of humanity passes through the family"
    -Mother Teresa

jess is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I am really not good at holding back impulse buys--that is why I have been hesitant to join. Our Costco is about 45 minutes away, but our BJ's is about 20 minutes....I keep going over in my mind if it is worth it. Maybe I'll just order another box of the milk from Amazon for now...it's still way, way less expensive than our grocery store (who charges $2.70 for a single box (!)--talk about mark-up), and maybe visit one of the stores--can you do this, without a membership?

I love Costco, but find I'm going to BJs more and more. BJs lets you use supermarket coupons in addition to the BJs coupons. So I save an additional $1 or so on products I would buy there anyway.

MNmomtobe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Took me a while to join Costo but finally caved. I love that place! They do have a good selection of toys and books. My local Costco has this School Bus Activity thing that I've been eyeing for $139. It is $279 at Target.com If I purchased that item, my membership would be more than paid for!
    The 1/2 sheet birthday cake for $15.99 can't be beat. Their cakes are yummy.
    We get our photos developed there. You can upload them online then pick them up in an hour. You can also bring in a picture card and do it there.
    We buy their bananas. I don't know what it is, but I have found they don't get spotty quite as quickly as the ones from my local grocery store. I also love their 6 lb bag of frozen strawberries for (I think) 7.99.
    The gas at our Costco tends to be a bit cheaper too. That alone may be worth the membership.

BJ's is good. We have belonged, or belong, to Costco, BJ's and Sam's. Sam's is free (Mom's second card.) Costco is too far, so I let it lapse, and BJ's is close and convenient.

My normal list:
    Diapers (love their brand)
    Wipes
    Papertowels
    Ranch dressing powder - I am weird, I hate the bottled version
    Bananas
    Taco Seasoning - huge container of it
    Lunchmeat
    Bread
    Cheese- but I will normally go to Sam's, like their's better
    Greeting Cards - 50% off American Greetings
    Clothing - find great things at BJ's and Sam's for the family
    Dried cranberries
    Books - great selection
    Toys - First stop for gifts
    Milk

Bought mattresses there, a name brand. Way less than the no name quotes I got at local store and much better quality.

Will to meats if I am not going to a grocery that is having a sale on meats. Their normal prices are less than the grocery, but not the grocery sale prices.

Costco and BJ's are great. My BJ's is by a grocery, so I can buy my "bulk" and "non-bulk" items in the same shopping center which I really appreciate. My Sam's is more standalone, but the kids love it (their Cookie Club for kids makes it a hot spot). We do all our photos at Sams, but previously did at Costco. I highly recommend joining the one easiest for you to get to. Ease is everything with kids!

fyi my co offers $10 off a Costco membership. DH's offers annual BJ's memberships for $20 or $25. We only have 1 BJ's card with his name and picture and I keep it and use it, never questioned.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3