Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: Would you go to Mexico with an infant?

I just got back from spending two weeks in Tampico, Mexico (actually Altamira, but it's close to Tampico) with my 8 month old. Obviously, he's a little older than your baby, but I would still go in your shoes. Especially if y'all are staying in a resort. Conditions there will probably be very nice, and you will only need to take a few basic precautions (use bottled water, don't eat food from street vendors, etc). Especially since you're breastfeeding, I don't see a problem. I would, however, bring a couple cans of formula just so that, in the rare event that you got sick and dehydrated, you would have something to feed the baby and not have to go looking for formula.

May I ask where you're going? I've been all over Mexico (I was a translator before DS was born), so I might have some tips on the exact location.

Oh, and if it's any comfort to you, we chose a delayed and selective vaccination schedule, so DS had actually only had his first Hib, IPV, and DTaP vaccines when we went. My ped wasn't concerned, and neither was I. Avery had a wonderful time, and I really enjoyed the trip.

We had to get DS's passport expedited, and there weren't any problems...we had it in plenty of time.

HTH! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

My friends are going to Tulum. It looks more like cabanas on a beach than a resort (definately not all inclusive). They wanted a less touristy/crowded quieter scene than Cancun. Is there any worry about getting sick from food?

I'll PM you the hotel site and would appreciate any comments!
    Thanks
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Hey Carrie!

I sent you a ridiculously long PM. With the area you'll be travelling to (and where you're staying), I would have no qualms whatsoever about going. I think you (and your family) would have a lovely time!

HTH!
    Stacy
    Wife to K

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

geochick is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My sister almost died once after a trip to Mexico (she ate or drank the wrong thing). I wouldn't take a baby that young. What my sister had would certainly kill an infant.

But an infant that young wouldn't be eating or drinking anything at all.

While it is slightly more common to get stomach illnesses in Mexico than it is in the U.S., it's usually avoidable by taking basic precautions (drink only bottle water - and use it to brush your teeth, too - eat at nice restaurants, don't buy food from street vendors). The chances of getting deathly ill from food poisoning or whatever in Mexico really aren't any greater than they are in the U.S.

I know that there are rare cases, but there are just as many of those here at home.
    Stacy
    Wife to K

I wouldn't, but that is due to the recent reminder of what a seven week old is really like. Zach was still all consuming at that point and I doubt I would have had fun being somewhere with him. Even traveling at 3 months out of state was exhausting. Now at 4 months I would go w/o hesitation, but he's much more "infant" than "newborn" and for me, easier. Just my 2 cents.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03
    Zachary July '07

>But an infant that young wouldn't be eating or drinking
    >anything at all.
    >

But mom and dad will be touching things and holding baby. I just don't think it's worth the risk. My sister was pooping *all* over the floor of her hotel room (before she ended up in the hospital)...she couldn't control her bowels at all. That could be the same floor/hotel this family gets. The poop germs exist everywhere, especially in developing countries...whether in food and water or not. Chances are good everything will be fine. There is a chance things won't. This family will have to decide if it's worth the risk.

From this site:
    http://www.safewateronline.com/
    Mexico:
    "Waterborne diseases, including amoebic and bacillary dysenteries and other diarrhoeal diseases, and the typhoid fevers are VERY COMMON."

I don't think we can say that in this country.

Mexico gets a 3 out of 5 score for drinking water safety. The USA gets a score of 5 out of 5.

You can drink bottled water, but those germs are still hanging around...everywhere.

Passport turnaround times right now are back to normal. Move quickly.

"Traveler's diarrhea is more common in young children than in adults, and they have a higher risk of dehydration and severe illness."
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/20050601/2095.html

I'd suggest you talk to your pediatrician if you decide to go.

I did talk to my pediatrician (who I chose because he is pretty laid back and doesn't tell parents how to parent). He said of course there's increased risk, but personally, he'd go.

I think at this point I'm comfortable enough to want to go, but finances may keep us from going anyway.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast