Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prescription Glasses - Costco or Lens Crafters?

I wear contacts during the day and glasses in the evening. It's time for me to replace my very old pair of glasses. They are on their last legs, and I know I won't want to bother with contacts when DS2 comes along in a couple of months. I would like to go with a flexible frame this time around. Where should I go to buy a new pair? I always get my contacts at Costco, but I don't know anything about their frames and lenses. I heard Lens Crafters is good, but are they expensive? (I have a AAA membership.)

Caroline

http://lilypie.com/pic/070603/vb1E.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/2Vyrm7/.png
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif 29 months

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev024pr___.png

Default RE: Prescription Glasses - Costco or Lens Crafters?

I wear contact lenses pretty much 24/7 so my glasses were 15 years old when I replaced them a few months ago. I HIGHLY recommend Costco. I got a really nice, fashionable set of Ralph Lauren frames with scratch resistant lenses for right around $100. Lens Crafters would have been much more expensive, and the service at Costco was top notch. It took about 7 days to get my glasses, but the wait was not a big deal to me, since it wasn't an emergency.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

spunkybaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Costco is great. Good quality, much cheaper (including all the extras like superthin lenses, etc.) DH's friend says that her father--who's an optometrist--told her to go to Costco to get glasses because it would be cheaper than what he could get for her.

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a new spunky Christmas baby (12/06)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have had the same pair of Lens Crafters glasses for 7 years. They were on sale. I can't complain about the service or rave about it. It was what it was.

Go to both places and go to a boutique and then get the glasses you like, if you are going to keep them more than 5 or so years don't worry about the cost and get something you will like for a long time. Don't settle. I have bought glasses from a boutique that looked amazing on me and were not that expensive.

You're pregnant, you deserve something nice and fashionable right now, it's not like you can buy new clothes that make you look super sexy (not that prego women aren't uber-sexy :) ) Now is not the time to be practical, it is the time to treat yourself.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My parents both got glasses recently through Costco and paid about $110 less than they did in the past for similar lenses. There were a lot of nice frames that were in the $50-75 range if I remember right. I've heard a lot of good things about Costco's optical dept, and I know they got great service (which obviously may vary location to location). Like you, I have always purchased my contacts there, but I need some new glasses for backup at some point, and I"ll likely go w/ Costco.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010