Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Would you go to Mexico with an infant?

Some old friends are having a reunion on the beach in Mexico and I would LOVE to go, but #2 will only be approx. 7 weeks old. They're staying at a smaller resort (not all-inclusive). Is there anyone who actually would go? We did take DS to Australia at 9 weeks, but that seems a bit different since health care/water etc. is fine there, and we were at MIL's house. I asked my ped, who is pretty laid back (and well traveled), and he said yes, there's increased risk, but he'd go!

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Would you go to Mexico with an infant?

If baby will be exclusively breastfed, I'd feel fairly comfortable with it, but otherwise I'd worry about the water (used to wash bottled, make formula, etc.).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wouldn't do it, but I'm a big wimp. lol DH and I were super careful about drinking bottled water and brushing our teeth with it, etc., but I still ended up with some intestinal issues that I definitely did NOT want on our last day there. yuck. Between the possibilities of that happening again and my memory of walking around and around and around with a particular foot fall pattern at 2am to try to get DD to go back to sleep when she was about that age, I think I'd pass!

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

nope i wouldn't do it. i especially wouldn't do it if baby hadn't been vaccinated with the 2-month shots yet.

jmho though.

anne

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't do it even if I were BFg. If *I* got sick (like I have down there before and DH has), I would worry I would get so dehydrated, it would affect my milk supply. No way would I go if I were formula feeding.

JMHO.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

mamica is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Probably not. Since baby is obviously not here yet, you just don't know how he/she will be...colicky, reflux, etc. If you would have to deal with these issues, it just wouldn't be much of a vacation.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can you get a passport by then? I'd go :)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would go, assuming a healthy full term baby. If I were breastfeeding it would be easy. If I were formula feeding, I would probably bring a case of ready to feed and use bottles with the drop in liners.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Oh, I forgot about that! I wonder how quickly an infant can get one now. We did have one by the time DS was 8 weeks old, so I'm guessing it's possible, especially if we expedited. Thanks for the reminder though in case we do go!!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Well, I will be breastfeeding, if everything goes as planned. I'm not that concerned about how relaxing it is for me vacation-wise, because the goal is really more to catch up with old friends than vacation, but I am a little worried picturing us all together (with DS 1) in a room and a non-sleeping baby, and not sure how that will go. I'm concerned about the intestinal sickness issue as well. I've never been to Mexico, so I'm not sure how common/preventable that is or not. Such a tough decision for me!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast