Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ChicagoMama Guest

Default Toddler UNREALITY Layette

OK, to all you moms of toddlers, here's a question. How do you stand to put your toddler in anything but super-cheap clothes in the summertime? Shelby has some of the CUTEST stuff from Hanna and Gymboree - but omigod what we are doing to our clothes as we play outside, learn to eat (even with big bibs), play in the sand, play in the kitchen sink, etc. etc. You should see her Hanna print capris - what a mess. I bought the Hanna stuff that looked like playwear, intending for her to wear it on a regular basis. But it's hurting me to put her in it. I don't even want to think about some of the Gymbo shorts outfits. I find myself reaching for the Circo stuff all the time now b/c if it falls apart I don't care as much b/c it was $3-$4.

So the way I look at it, everything in a toddler's summer wardrobe should cost less than $5 per item, with the exception of church and/or birthday party outfits, of which we have three. So I feel like I overspent given what we have and what she's doing to her clothes. Yes, I oxyclean ad nauseum, but the clothes are going to be so beaten up that I won't be able to pass them down to Sydney for next year - and I thought that was the whole point of Hanna and some Gymbo?

Given this whole toddler thing, why is everyone still so excited about Hanna and Gymbo? I love their stuff, but it kills me to watch what she does to her clothes. And if I only need a few super-cute pieces, again, how does everyone stay so excited about these brands?

I'd love to know what you do with your toddler, and if you do stay excited about the higher-priced brands (yes, even with coupon codes, deals, and steals, they are still higher-priced)? Thanks for your perspective in advance...
    Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Toddler UNREALITY Layette

Becky-

I am feeling the same way lately. I just got into the whole Hanna craze and I have been even buying some Gymbo. However, we are getting outside more with the nice weather and DS is dirty before I even have the chance to chase him down and get him in the car. We just bought a very cheap pair of shorts and tee at TRU/KRU ($3 each) for playing in the dirt with me. However, I am with you now...I think I have the numbers mixed up. It should have been mostly cheap KRU/TRU branded clothes and one or two Hanna/Gymbo outfits.

I love Gymboree and Gap and other brands, but when we're going to the park or gardening, Gabrielle's wearing DENIM! LOL That way she can trash a pair of $.50 garage sale found shorts or skort and save the cute Gymbo bloomers for days when we're doing errands or doing INSIDE things..... :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ITA. Although I've never been a Hannah or Gymbo shopper, her clothes were pricier than they should have been. I learned the hard way last year when Charlotte trashed a good deal of her clothes and the $30 pair of canvas Nike sneakers that lasted all of one month! I have 5 good outfits that I save for parties and occasions. The rest are GAP sale items, Target Circo Brand, Walmart brand (drawing a blank on the name but really like the quality), and stuff from Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc...

I honestly expect very little to get handed down to Claire from this summer. The denim will make it but I can see everything else getting beat.

brubeck Guest

Perhaps my toddlers are not as messy as yours but I find that Land's End, Gymboree and Hanna wash very well. In fact my DS decided to sit in the mud and eat mud pies.... YUCK! What a mess! And he was wearing his brand new Hanna bold striped romper. Since it was so heavily soiled I had to wash it twice but it all came out and the outfit still feels/looks like new.

Now I can't pass down clothes, so I just figure if they are trashed by the time the child has grown out of them then I've gotten my money's worth. Circo clothes often look trashed after a few washings (even if they haven't really been messed up) and then I hate to put my kids in them. I started letting DD wear these nicer clothes to preschool and it's great: she looks cute and comes home with nothing on them that can't be washed off.

atlbaby Guest

LOL at your thread title. :) For summertime playwear I basically dress Arielle in Carters, TCP, Lands End, and the occasional Gap or Old Navy item (though I haven't bought from Old Navy in a while because I think it's overpriced for the quality). For nicer wear I have dresses/skirts from Gymboree, Lands End, or Gap, or department stores (where I got lots of credits from baby gifts for Daliya that I didn't need since she and Arielle are on the same timeline!:) ) Although I've never gotten anything from Hanna before (yet!), I do have a pair of pants and two t shirts from Gymboree and I was worried about her getting dirty in them at the playground or wherever, but so far all stains have come out. One shirt is actually white and MIL forgot to put a bib on her and gave her strawberries last week (grrrr), but YAY the stains came out!

I bought a bunch of Circo and Target items last summer thinking that was the best way to go. But the Circo ones shrunk terribly and the Old Navy look so worn and stretched out now, so I can't hand anything down to Daliya next year. So as much as I cringe when Arielle falls in a pile of dirt in her nice LE clothes, I think I have a better chance of handing them down this way!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
    and Daliya, 10/27/03

ChicagoMama Guest

Thank you!! OK, so I guess it's a catch 22 in a way. If you don't pay for the quality up front, then the stuff has serious potential to wear out (a la everyone's experiences with Circo, Old Navy, and my personal fav, Sesame Street from KMart). But if you do pay for the quality up front, just buyer beware that the summer stuff will indeed last all summer, but it may not make it to a second child. Hence - the lesson is, buy only what you love!! OK that helps. My downfall is that I want her to look super-cute ALL THE TIME, so I don't generally compromise on the cute factor, even if it is cheap. And I really dig the Hanna and Gymbo stuff. Although I have learned some Hanna lessons - not all Hannas are created equally, but that's another thread for another time LOL!!

Your replies make me feel a little better - but I will say that next year I will buy a little differently for Sydney's summer wardrobe as a toddler - more along the lines of kelly ann's response.

OK, now I'm thinking out loud here...I wonder if there's that big of a difference for winter? I have some absolutely awesome Gymbo Whale Watching and Indian Summer stuff in 3T that I am dying to put her in, but I'm not nearly as afraid of trashing the winter stuff...anyway, I'm hijacking my own thread here...

Thanks a bunch. Would love to hear more if anyone passes by....
    Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Becky-

I hoping that there will be a little less wear and tear in the winter time - they can't really go outside rolling around in the dirt when it is so cold. At least I hope so because DS winter wardrobe is already in the closet. Of course, I did get the stuff at good prices so hopefully I will not be frustrated when it gets stained.

BTW, I just spent 30 minutes tonight try to scrub out tomato sauce from a Little Me outfit...no such luck :( He has worn it only twice!!! I guess he has another outfit to go with the cheap TRU/KRU outfit.

One more thing - I am a chicago mama too! I think the new Hanna store in Woodfield is open. Not that we should be buying more of those clothes based on this thread ;)

Up until this point, DS has had a fabulous wardrobe. I love dressing him. But not so much anymore since he makes a wreck of himself now! I invested not much money into a play wardrobe that consists of circo shorts and tees. I also have some other items I bought at a local consignment sale (including a cute pair of Hanna denim shortalls). We have some very nice items he will wear to church, birthday parties, etc.. but I don't think it is worth me spending a fortune on items that look like they have gone through a war at the end of the day. Now we have been in shorts here for over a month and he has worn the circo clothes quite a few times. And I have washed them numerous times. All have held up well and haven't shrunk or gotten ruined in the wash. Perhaps they upped their quality this year?

I also like the Children's Place a lot but they have some quality inconsistencies. But it is still great to grab some of their items at the low prices they offer.

I think the winter will be better...at least I hope so! But it doesn't get too cold around here...I may be in trouble!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Winter clothes don't get trashed NEARLY as bad! The big winter clothes problems are stained sleeves from eating and perhaps worn out knees from crawling around on the carpet. :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast