Default What booster seat for 8 1/2 year old girl

My 8 1/2 year old daughter has about 1 1/2 - 2 inches to go before she outgrows her britax husky. I'm freaked out about putting her in a booster. She has always been harnessed. My question is this; what booster seat would be best for her? She is 52 inches tall and weighs about 65 pounds. We have a 1997 plymouth voyagerthat does not have head rests in the back. So, the seat backs are very low and I want to make sure that I get something that is very sturdy because the booster seat will be the only head protection that she has. That is why I'm so freaked out about it. Am I just being parinoid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You, Melinda

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: What booster seat for 8 1/2 year old girl

We have the Britax StarRiser Comfy booster for my 7.5 year-old and she loves it - nice head rest, comfy padding, and easy to use. My 4.5 year-old is in the Britax Marathon right now and I am thinking of getting the Britax Parkway for her next year since it is easier to adjust than the StarRiser and has cup holders. Britax boosters are some of the best on the market and I have no hesitation about buying one again. HTH!

Joni Guest

Either the Britax Parkway or Bodyguard or a Graco Turbo Booster. All have EPS foam in the head rest and all go to 100 pounds and quite tall. I'm proud of you for recognizing that your seats require a booster. Many people don't understand this. I make my 7 YO cousin (in my custody) ride in a booster and told her she would until I get a new car because my seat backs are low. So many people just let them ride without a booster and no whiplash protection. Great job.
    JONI cpst

I bet you have about 2 years before she hits the limits on that seat (maybe 1.5...)
    Right now, the tallest boosters are the Britaxes... the Parkway is wonderful (Bodyguard is discontinued and not as comfy in the seat, Starriser Comfy has no side impact protection and is about to be renamed the Fisher Price something-or-other and will be easier to adjust)...my kids ride in them in dad's car, Huskies in mine.
    I know some 12 yo's who still fit in the Parkway comfortably.

Nope, you aren't just being paranoid! Whiplash injuries aren't usually life threatening, but they hurt like heck and you'd be out way more money on a chiropractor, if you're in a crash and there's no headrests and no booster.

:)

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

uccomama Guest

I agree with everyone else the Parkway is a great seat. But..... if you are really concerned about having a strong booster, then I do find the Parkway is a bit fimsy when the back is adjusted to the higher settings. If you don't mind spending the money, the Recaro Start is a great booster for bigger(taller) kids, it is very adjustable, not just the back, but the shoulder area and most importantly the seat depth. It is also a tall seat, as it was designed for the German market and kids in Germany need to be in boosters until 12 years old. My 8 year old (54 lbs and around 53 inches tall) finds the Parkway's seat too narrow to be really comfortable. The Recaro Start has an aluminum frame and the whole back adjusts rather than just the headrest, so I think for a car with no built in headrests this could be a good thing. The only problem I see with this option is the Start is only rated to 80 lbs, so it might not last (depending on how much weight she gains over the next few years) until she can use the car's own belts and at $350 (can be had for $285 though) it is a lot of money to pay for a booster than might only be used for a couple of years.

Here is a link to my booser website, not all the photos show my DD (Sasha) in the 7 to 8 year stage, but the Parkway does and does the Recaro Start and the Recaro Style (another option for you)

ETA: my DD is no where near the top back height in the Recaro Start, when fully adjusted it measures 30". I don't remember off hand how that compares to the Parkway or Bodyguard.

ETA#2: oops the link: http://members.tripod.com/uccomama-ivil/index.html

Deborah

Thank you so much for all the comments. I do really like the Parkway,just wasn't sure if it would be sturdy enough when raised for tall kids. I'll have to go check it out. Maybe we have longer than I thought in the Husky, that would give me more time to shop around. Is the Recaro young style as sturdy as the Start? I've noticed that it is quite a bit cheaper. Also, I do worry about the width of the Parkway. Not that my daughter is heavy of anything but, she already has a small waist and wider hips (she's already curvy)scary LOL. I want her to be comfortable. Money is not a really big issue (not that I'm rice or anything) because I do have a 7 year old and a 5 1/2 year old that the seat could be handed down to when she outgrows it.

Ooops, left off the link, Deb.
    I was going to mention the Start, but it only goes to 80 pounds, right? And her dd is 65 with over an inch to go before her shoulders are over the top slots of the Husky, so I thought she might be awfully close to the weight limit on the Start already when she's done with the Husky....

Oh and to the OP, the Parkway really is quite wide... I really do know a couple twelve year olds who fit in it (one's using it over the weight limit because she's in a truck with no head support sometimes...)

I agree the Start is much more sturdy, but don't think the Parkway is actually less safe (if that makes sense!)...I just wish the Start were rated to 100 pounds...It really is an awesome seat for older kids!

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

uccomama Guest

Link added.

I agree I think the Parkway is as safe a booster as you can get. I wish the Start would go to 100 lbs too (I guess those European kids are still slimmer on the whole than US kids and they don't see the need to go to such a high weight).

The back of Style isn't as tall as the Parkway, but when you measure it, the back offers just as much height as the the Parkway when fully adjusted as the base isn't as high. It is certainly less flimsy when fully adjusted and doesn't have the Parkway's ET neck look which always bothers me (silly I know)!

I guess I'll check out the Parkway and try to find somewhere to actually see a Young Style in person. I wish the weight limit were higher in the Recaro but, I think it would take a while for her to hit the 80 lb. mark anyway. Maybe by then there will be something new and better on the market. Or, maybe, I'll be able to afford a new van. That would solve all my problems but, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Oh, do you know when the new patterns are coming out for the Parkway? I think that my foofy daughter would love the Tiffany print if we decide to go with a Parkway. My granddaughter has a Tiffany print Decathlon and my 8 1/2 year old thinks it is so pretty.