Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JenSully Guest

Default What booster would you buy?

My DD is going to be 4 in February, she's getting too tall for her Triumph and her little sister (6 months) is getting too tall for her infant seat. So, DD#1 needs to move on into another carseat and we're planning on getting her a booster. What seat would you buy? Here's my needs:
    1) Around $100 or less in cost
    2) Fit in my 1997 Saab 900S (although I'm sure the seat will outlast my car at this point, but to start)
    3) Enough padding for long car rides.

So what you would buy?

Default RE: What booster would you buy?

How heavy is she? If she's under about 35 pounds, I'd definitely get a Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Generations. And if she's pushing 40 pounds, I'd go for a higher harness weight seat like the Cosco/Safety 1st Apex (might also be called Alpha Elite), that harnesses to 65 pounds (I think www.albeebaby.com has a model for $99 still)

The Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe is also a great choice, but runs about $149 on sale.

I used to have that car! It was a lovely Champagne Beige and I named her Cynthia Saab... it was SO easy to install a carseat with those lovely switchable latchplates (just flip the button from the picture of the person to the picture of the baby in the seat...genius...)

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

JenSully Guest

She just about 40 pounds. I saw your reply and was all sent to start shopping for the Apex and then read that it can't be used if the vehicle seat back isn't low. Well, my SAAB is fine, but my DHs Jeep Cherokee is not. Sigh. Now what. The FP Safe Voyage doesn't convert to a seatbelt only booster, does it? I want something that's going to either keep her harness for a long time or that will convert to a seatbelt only booster.

And, I love my SAAB, too. I really wish that SAAB made minivans Hehehe

No, the FP doesn't become a booster, but you'll be able to use it for years, since you can hand it down to the baby, and then get a belt positioner for your older kiddo in a couple years that can be used without a headrest (kids have to be in seats till age 10-12 when the seatbelt fits properly, so you can't look TOO far ahead to 'the last seat I'll ever buy' when they are still this young ;) )

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I second Julie. I'd get a larger convertible if the Apex doesn't work. If your DD made it to almost 4 in a Triumph, she must be pretty short-torso'd and will last quite awhile in a FPSV DX, as its a much taller seat in harness slots and in back height.

The Triumph will expire 6 years from its date of manufacture AND the baby will someday outgrow it. When either of those happens, you can pass the FPSV DX down and get the oldest a nice dedicated booster. The combos are good in theory, but realistically, you'll probably be happier with a nice convertible now and then a nice dedicated booster later.

If you didn't have the baby, I could see trying to get away with one seat, but having the pass-down scenario makes a larger convertible a good way to go!

JenSully Guest

Makes sense. Ok, so if I were able to spend a bit more money on a convertible, what would you get? If I'm going to consider a convertible then, I want something that's going to be comfy. I saw the FP in the store today and I didn't have her sit in it, but it didn't look that comfy and the seat look short.

JenSully Guest

Oh, I forgot to ask as well. Why would I not want to consider just going to a good belt positioning booster for her?

She's really too young... kids just have much higher risk of head injury in boosters before they are about age 5 (when they are A) mature enough to sit properly in them and B) (most importantly) vertebrae that are really strong enough to hold their head on in a crash and their head is relatively smaller). Every 'graduation' to a bigger seat is a major demotion in safety, you want to put it off as long as possible, truly.
    Maybe the Sunshine Kids Radian, then? It's a little bigger and wider than the FP or Marathon, my dd fit in it till she was 6.5, almost a year longer than she fit in the Marathon.

:)

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Was it the 55 lb version? If so, its mainly the same as a Britax MA. Same shell, slots, etc. Covers are different, but I think they are as nicely padded and cushy.

If it was the 40 lb version, its mainly the same as a Britax Roundabout and would be pretty short. I'm wondering if that's what you saw?

The top slot of an MA is 17.5" inches, which is 2" more than the Triumph. The back is 4.5" taller. (Per http://www.carseatdata.org/measurements.php?tun=home) So, it should buy you a couple more years for your oldest. (I'm assuming she wasn't OVER the top slot on the Triumph?)

Target has the MA's if you wanna see them to compare to the FP you saw. They are on sale from various online retailers quite often. You'd get full usage out of it with the two kids, if that helps soften the blow. ;)

The Radian would be a little taller. They are hard to find in real life though. You can return to Target stores if you order from their websites.

She's just too young for a booster. In a booster, the CHILD bears a lot of responsibility for their own safety. They need to NOT bend over and pick up anything they drop. They need to stay in "proper" postition if they fall asleep. They need to not mess with the belts or buckles. They need to keep the shoulder belt tight, etc. Some kids are mature enough at four, most aren't. It really depends on the child.

In my case, we drive very long distances frequently. So, even though my daughter is now over four, I'm not even considering a booster yet. I'm sure she could sit properly for short distances, but to ask that of her at her age for 3.5 hours at a stretch is too much. (Not even taking sleep into account.)

JenSully Guest

Julie - did you use the Radian in your Saab?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast