edavig Guest

Default Need safe car seat/booster for carpooling and a new carseat/booster for DS (3y) as DS (7m) outgrowing Snugride

Currently have a Britax Marathon and a Graco Snugride for my 3 year old son and 7 month old son. I currently started carpooling for my 3 year old son's friend and need a carseat for that as well (so 3 car seats in the back of my 2003 Jeep Liberty - a very tight squeeze that requires me to take the Snugride off of the base - not secure enough at all). Here is what I am considering:
    1. purchasing another Britax Marathon or Britax Roundabout
    2. purchasing the Graco CarGo for carpooling needs as that could eventually be a booster seat.
    I have no idea if all of these would even fit in the backseat of my car!
    Any suggestions? Thank you so much - I have searched and searched the site and am overwhelmed by the amount of information out there! You all are amazing!
    Sincerely,
    Erin Davig

Default RE: Need safe car seat/booster for carpooling and a new carseat/booster for DS (3y) as DS (7m) outgrowing Snugride

See if you can find a Sunshine Kids Radian seat locally to try out...it's super narrow, and is a lot like your Marathon, quality wise, but is super narrow, lol. www.skjp.com has all the specs, and I think people buy from Target so they can return it to a local store if it doesn't fit. The safety first uptown is also a rather narrow and tall choice, but only harnesses to 40 pounds, but it's at least cheap-ish at 99$ from walmart. or the RideSafer Travel Vest is the best choice for a super tight position, it's only as wide as the kid wearing it!

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

edavig Guest

Default RE: Need safe car seat/booster for carpooling and a new carseat/booster for DS (3y) as DS (7m) outgrowing Snugride

Thanks, Julie! I am heading out to a babystore close by to check out a few in person. I have loved my Britax, however it is a beast - so big and takes up so much room that I wonder if I need two! I am beginning to wonder if we need a bigger car.....!:o I also really want a safe 3rd carseat for carpooling which is why I was considering the Graco CarGo (great prce too at $80 at Target.com). I wonder if I could get three across though. Will check it out and talk with DH and let you know how things pan out. I appreciate your help immensely!
    Sincerely,
    Erin

lol about the bigger car...why do you think there are so many minivans and SUV's around nowadays? I think carseat companies could try a little harder to make seats that fit fine in three across situations..Britaxes are actually pretty easy, but surely they could be better, yeah?

Good luck finding the Radian!

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

edavig Guest

Hi Julie! I always promised I would not have a minivan but look longingly at the ease of them during preschool pick up and drop off! :o I hope we can make some headway on this task this weekend - I will let you know how things turn out - I appreciate your help!
    Sincerely,
    Erin

edavig Guest

Sorry it has taken me so long to post our "results" from our car seat shopping and decision making! :o We finally decided to get another Britax (easiest to find, use, and I just feel good about them - they feel safe!) and then a Graco Car Go for carpooling (decided on this one as it is 5 point harness up to 40 lbs and then can be used as a booster - it was also quite affordable and easy to find at Target). I miraculously was able to get all three (2 Britax (1 forward facing and one back facing) and the Graco Car Go - forward facing) in the back of my Jeep Liberty - it took me about an hour but everyone is Latched in snug and tight! Thanks for all your help with our decision - I am so relieved we don't need a bigger car (for now!)!! :)