gloweat Guest

Default Question about car seat options for 3 year old

My friend is looking for a seat for her 3 year old. She would like to keep him in a 5 point harness for as long as possible. My question is what are her options? I know about the Britax Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard and Regent (Regent being the best choice for her I think) and the Sunshine Radian 65 and Radian 80 (but that is more $ than the Regent right? Why is that?) and the Fisher Price Safe Voyage (only goes to 55lbs right?). Are there any other seats that can be used with a 5 point harness past 40lbs?

She actually just bought him a Britax Parkway but I think she is going to return it so that she can get something that has a 5 point harness. He turned 3 in August and I know weighs more than 30lbs and is taller than 38 inches but I cant remember right now how big he is exactly. If money is an issue and she can't afford a 5 point will he be ok in this seat? Is it an decent alternate option?

Thanks so much!

Alissa

Default RE: Question about car seat options for 3 year old

Three and a half is too young for a booster. The seats that you listed are great options. A less expensive option would be the Safety First Apex as long as her car has high seatbacks or headrests.
    Melinda - mom to 3 beautiful girls and an awesome boy

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 3 yr old is doing well in his Radian I would recommend that one.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a radian and a regent and they are both great. The radian did't fit as well in my Toyota Echo, actually it fit great outboard but I wanted it in the middle. It fits well in the middle in DHs car a Ford Escape with Latch. DD likes them both.
    Def 3 is too young for a booster.

katiesmommy Guest

Well, it really depends. The Regent would definitly get him the longest. So if she's looking to get more bang for her buck, that's the best choice. The other Britax's wouldn't get him very long height-wise, so I'd rule that out. The Radian 65 is a good choice, it's 2in. taller then the other Britax's, but still not as tall as the Regent. And the Radian 80 is pointless, it's the same shell as the 65, just tested at a higher weight.

She should probably return the Parkway, by the time he's big enough and old enough to use it, it won't have as much time left on it. If money is an issue, look into the Safety First Apex 65. But remember that she has to have tall seatbacks or headrests in order to use it.

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have to say I agree with Katie. The Regent has 20" top harness slots, the Radian has 18" top slots, the Apex and Boulevard is 17", the MA/DC & FPSVD are 17.5" just for comparison sake. The best thing to do is sit dc down on the floor, make a pencil mark on the wall at the top of the shoulders, then measure from floor to mark. That will give you his torso height and a better idea of how much growing room he'd have in these seats.

If he's shorter torso'd and she has tall vehicle seatbacks, then the Apex might be a good choice, if money is an issue.

Also, the Regent requires a top tether after the child hits 50lbs so she needs to have tether anchors (either factory installed, or retrofitted).

hth!

gloweat Guest

Thank you guys for your suggestions! I have passed on this info to her!

Alissa