Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sntm is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Brio vs Thomas the Train? Discuss.

I bought Jack the "Jack" train from Thomas after being an angel for his first haircut. DH and I had a load of fun looking at all the coolness you can buy to go with it all.

But, in general, do you like Brio or Thomas better? Or one for tracks, the other for trains, another for accessories...?

Appreciate comments. Also on value of a train table.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Brio vs Thomas the Train?Discuss.

Well we have omse of both and also some cheap Target track. I think the Brio and Thomas quality are about equal. I like that the Brio stuff is less commercialized, but DD actually really does love the Thomas trains more.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about train tables in the Around the House forum lately:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...d=19669&page=3

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...d=19765&page=3

There tend to 2 very divergent opinions on train tables, LOL. We have one, but we don't use it very often for trains.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have Brio and Target trains. Maybe its just me, but the faces on the Thomas trains freaks me out a bit! But I also tend to prefer toys that are not tied into tv shows- they seem to have a more lasting appeal IMO.

We have a train table, which I love. We use it for all sorts of things (right now there are puzzles on it). We use the floor when we want to build a complicated train structue, but the table is nice for when there are other kids over to have it out of the way, or if I just want the playroom to have a more picked up look!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01/01
    & Alex 04/27/04

We have track from Brio, and TRU. Most of our train cars are Thomas cars. DS is obsessed with Thomas. Actually, he loves Percy. But I digress. DS lives, breaths and sleeps his train characters. It is strange. He always loved the trains but he seemed to get into it more and more over the past couple of months. He can name all the characters (he can barely say his own name!) and loves to read the books and watch the DVDs.

We have a Nilo train table and love it. It is well made and well used in this house! It puts up with a lot of abuse!
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

We got DD the cheap set of tracks from Target and they have worked fine - they are compatible with the Thomas tracks. She also has a few Thomas tracks and a hill. She really enjoys her Thomas trains much more than the ones that came with the Target tracks.

We have a train table and it is well used, check out Beth's links!

Lisa

Jack's never seen the TV show (I'm ignorant, I thought it was a book :)) so I don't think that will influence him. Our target should be complete in a few months, so I'll have to check there for track!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Thomas trains are based on a book. There are a series of videos out, but I don't think they are on regular TV. Honestly, we have one video and DD likes it, but I hate it, so we don't watch it, LOL! But we have several Thomas books, and she knows all the trains from the books. I think that kids tend to be attracted to the faces on the trains.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Colin is verrrrry attached to his Thomas trains. He knows them all by name (the toys, in the books or even on TV) and will correct you if you are wrong (c'mon, how easy is it to mix up Mike and James??). He feeds them, gives them milk, gives them his plug, shows them things on TV and out the car window, this kid is very attached to the trains...
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Lori, I remember you posting about him wanting you to nurse his train :+

Jack found the collectible card for his Jack train the other day and kept point "dat, dat, dat" until I finally located the train in the bottom of a toy bin.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    shannon
    not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
    trying-to-conceive :)
    PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
    mama to Jack 6/6/03

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I figured my Thomas would love Thomas trains since they share a name. I've bought mostly Thomas but do have a Brio Curious George set stashed for him later (too cute to resist.) Tom loves his trains, epecially his battery-operated Thomas!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast