Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Erica Guest

Default RE: Am I doing something wrong???

Try a "Music Together" Class. The first thing the instructor said to us was "it's okay if your child needs to run around, as long as they are doing it safely " (i.e. not climbing furniture, opening doors etc.) She explained that all children learn differently. That by just being there, seeing the other children and hearing them, they would be learning. There is a lot of dancing around, a lot of movement and a lot of hands on with instruments. I have been taking my son since he was 5 months old and he is now 28 months old. I've watched new children come into the class. Most of them don't seem to pay any attention for the first 4-6 classes, then you begin to see a transformation. They start to get interested and start to participate. Just like Kindermusic, you get a CD, casset tape and song book.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with Music Together (http://www.musictogether.com/) At 28 months, my son can keep a beat, sings on key frequently, sings along to Vivaldi & Bach, and knows most of the words to the standard toddler songs. Don't give up on music classes, just find a different class or instuctor that makes you feel comfortable.

Good luck!

colleenfs is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started Julia in a babies Music Together class at 9 months. She LOVED it! When the next session began, we moved her to a mixed ages class, and she continues to have a great time.

I am a musician myself, and I have been very impressed with this program and its philosophy on children's exposure to music. I love that we get a songbook, CD, and tape of the songs we'll be doing each semester. It's great to be able to sing the songs at home so that the children recognize the songs both in class and after the class is over.

I just wish that we'd started earlier!

Colleen
    Mama to Julia 1-10-02

A.J. Guest

In my mom's group, we've participated in a singalong time once a week in which the children are expected to run around! I think you should see the curiosity, energy, and self-motivation as an asset and think about how to channel it so your child reaches her potential, feels good about it and doesn't lose it as she becomes socialized over the years. I think it would be a loss for both of you if your child lost that spark that underlies individual thinking, exploration, and independence.

I've recently signed up my 26-month-old for Kindermusik, and he is also the most rambunctious in the class. The policy in our class is that it's okay and normal for kids to run off and not always sit still and participate. The instructor just asks that we follow our kids if they leave the group, and remove them only if they become disruptive. It sounds to me like your daughter only became disruptive when she was asked to participate in a way that she was not ready for. Our pediatrician says two-years-old is too early to expect such socialization from every child.

If her participating means sitting back from the group and exploring the exterior environment so that she is comfortable with it, you may find that you can gently entice her to participate by finding connections between what SHE is doing and what the class is doing. If you can find a way to make participation HER idea, she may be much more enthusiastic.

I, too, wondered if something was wrong when my child could not be enticed to participate in Gymboree classes: he went around the room working the door handles, inspecting all the moving parts on every stroller in the room, and changing the music on the CD player (which wasn't even placed out of the way -- none of the other kids went near it). The driving beat on some of the music made him want to leave. But when they calmed down for the last song, and the instructor pulled out a big Gymbo doll, all the other kids sat down obediently in a circle. My son went right up to the doll of his own accord and gave it a smile and a great big hug. Then all the other kids got up to do the same. I learned two things from that: 1) my son was not ready for Gymboree. 2) I had to find activities that played on his interests, rather than forcing someone else's idea of what he should be doing at this early age.

At the very least, you are seeing normal behavior for an energetic toddler. You may be seeing the seeds of future leadership skills, and independent thinking. It would be a shame to socialize that away instead of nurturing it. Maybe you need to find a class more suited to where your daughter is now, or another instructor as others have suggested. As long as you can keep her safe, I think the tendency to explore so energetically is something to cherish at this age, and remember that "this too shall pass."

brubeck Guest

You know it's really weird to read this discussion now because I first posted it over a year ago! My daughter is now 34 months old and we go to a Mommy & Me preschool once a week. She still isn't 100% into circle time, but it is SO much better. It took about 20 preschool sessions before she became interested in sitting still for the songs and games. She is still less interested in sitting still for a story, but the dancing parts are lots of fun for her.

So it does seem that she is less inclined to sit in a circle and participate in the activities than other children, but I do have to say that after a year I have noticed a huge improvement. So people who are pulling their hair out over the same issue, there is hope!

KUvsOU Guest

My son has been in Kindermusik since he was 2-1/2 months old and he is now almost 16 months. Sometimes, he is really good about sitting and participating with the group; however, other days he is really interested in exploring and do his own thing. His teacher said this is not unusual and sometimes they just need to do their own thing. I think the other issue in our case is that Cade is the oldest kid in his class by far and if there are other kids close to his age he does better participating. Luckily, we will be transitioning to the next level of class after the first of the year.

I have also noticed that when a child is new to Kindermusik that it takes several classes before they decide to participate. They start to become familiar with the general routine of the class and once they are comfortable with it they begin to participate. However, there are still days when they will want to do their own thing. The other thing that often helps is following up the class with the CD and activities at home. We usually don't do this that often, but I know other parents swear by this.

I know sometimes I have a hard time when my son doesn't participate. Try to not let it bother you. You may want to try another session or possibly see if Gymboree is an option in your area. I know you can also sit in on one of their classes as well.

Shawna
    Mom of Cade 6/16/02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2