Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: how do you now or plan on schooling?

we are in a school district where the boys will most likely not get to go to the same school every year so they will have to start over in a new school every year. and then to top it off there is a good chance they wont be in the same school as each other. then to top that off there are cops in the schools they are so bad. i cant in any way justify sending my boys there. we also dont have a large income to spend on private school, maybe for one but not for both. the homeschooling network is thru a private religious school and by the time they are in high school we are in hopes that we can afford to send them to this school for their high school education.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

mommyoftwo Guest

Oh I wasn't criticizing. I hope you didn't take it that way. I was simply stating my experience. My parents were in a similar situation. I grew up on the south side of Chicago and the public schools there were pretty bad even 20 years ago. There was one private luthran school and one private catholic school and for whatever reason they didn't feel comfortable sending us there. I wish they had looked into it more. I think they just discounted it altother for whatever reason. There are times when homeschooling is the best option and in those cases a homeschooling network definitely helps. I would encourage you to keep it as structured as possible, follow a curriculum and involve your boys in as many activities as possible. That will help a lot.

ETA: I was enrolled in multiple ballet and gymnastics classes, but I was never really involved in a group that focused on socialization like brownies or girlscouts. I think that would have helped a LOT. I just didn't have the necessary skills to socialize or fit in when I started attending a regular school.

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

oh no, i didnt think so. i was just trying to elaborate on what my situation is. the hs group that i would get them involved in is thru the lutheran church. they have a private school that also caters to the hs children. they even offer "elective" courses that they can come in for. and then at an older age they offer classes that you can come in for like advanced math and science and so forth. i think that i am going to follow the "school in a box" type education. it is the same things that they are teaching at school bascially and it has schedules with it and everything. i will keep my boys tested to make sure they are not falling behind and i am going to look into 4h for them, i think that they would love it. thanks for your view and alot of what you said is what alot of my concerns were for home schooling. ugh why does it seem like i am always scared that i am going to screw my boys up one way or another.x(
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Obviously you have personal experience from the other side, but I just wanted to chime in and say homeschooling has changed a LOT in the past few years/decades.

There are a lot of "co op" groups where parents share teaching duties or their expertise in a given area. So an "artsy" friend might run a homeschool art group, and my chemist DH might teach high school chemistry to a few homeschoolers as part of a co-op program, kwim?

Also as the popularity of homeschooling grows/has grown, there are a lot more groups/activities (I know in the two different states I've lived in since having DS, there are YMCA or gym programs for homeschoolers, etc.). There are mentorship opportunities as well...working with college professors, local professionals in a given field, doing internships in high school, for example.

Just sharing those thoughts. I think homeschooling *can* be limiting, but doesn't have to be. There are lots of really enriching opportunities available that weren't always there in the past.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

public. my DH is a high school band director and I am going to school now to be a teacher, so public it is. I grew up in public school, and we currently live in one of the best districts in the state. I never really considered private or homeschooling. My DH's experience with homeschoolers that have come in to his band program, is that they have a hard time relating to the other students.

Traci

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Whatever works. My old motto.

That will mean starting with public, a decision I reached after over a year of intensive research of my local area schools. I start volunteering and attending a community steering committee in just a few months, even though he will not start till September 2008. If what i see over the next 2 years changes my mind, so be it. I am flexible. If I decide to not do the public program, I would start with Catholic school and work out from their till something worked.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If I'm goning to a private school or home school I'm first going to move to a place with cheaper property taxes. 'Cause I ain't paying this much in freakin' taxes and paying for school! ;)

Jeanne
    Mom to Harvey
    1/16/03
    & Eve 6/18/06

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

>I plan on dropping DD off in the woods and letting her run
    >wild with a pack of wolves. :+
    >

LOL. Well, we always said of our DS son he was going to be "raised by Labs" of the retriever kind. I guess my DD is going to be "raised by a lab and a hound dog."

Jeanne
    Mom to Harvey
    1/16/03
    & Eve 6/18/06

ribbit1019 Guest

Well the school DH and I want for DD is out of our price range.

We will not doing public unless we move. Our school systems, Becky, sound sadly alike. They sent out the flier and only one elementary school (out of 8) is performing at par according to the state. The two middle schools and high schools have the lowest rating the state gives out. :(

Dh is against homeschooling, which was my plan so who knows.

Christy
    My Waterbabies
    http://b3.lilypie.com/uVw3m4/.png
    http://b1.lilypie.com/tbvhm4/.png
    "I 'scape. I 'scape an go ou da window. Go ouside." MD
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...Other/jump.gif
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBCo-Ops/jo

denna is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I voted for private school. I dont have any problem w/ public schools, I was in great public schools my entire life. However DH was the opposite. He was in some of the best private schools and he loved it. I have seen the schools in the area he grew up in and since that is where we will be living I would have to agree they are really nice schools. So we are planning on sending our DCs there.

Denna

Mama to THREE adorable kiddos

Mommy's KINDERGARTENER DS1 born Apr/2006 happily harnessed in his Frontier
    Mommy's belly baby DD born Jul/2009 content in her Boulevard
    Mommy's little hedgehog DS2 born May/2011; riding unhappily in his Chaperone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast