HADD_OK Guest

Default Inspections on new homes not being done

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/89...ews408353.html If this link is still "live," it discusses the lack of enforcment of building codes in one particular city. This is a nationwide problem. People should never assume the city will inspect or enforce code. Many areas don't have codes, especially rural areas. IF we ever build again, we will be having our own engineer and inspector to check the builder's work throughout the construction process. Any builder that won't abide by that will not get our business. I have doubts we will find a builder willing to accept that, especially after a long conversation with a builder in KS who never answered my questions at all, as to whether he'd accept a buyer's terms of independent inspections and NO ARBITRATION clause.

Default I agree

I agree, we just completed a new home and my husband was the builder/G.C. When our electrical and plumbing inspectors came, they passed us and never left the foyer! We were shocked, but what I've heard is they go off the reputation of who did the work; if you had a good contractor, they've seen their work before and will just pass them. Kind of shady, but worked in our favor not to have a nit-picker come and do inspections on what we knew was impeccible work.