pittsburghgirl Guest

Default Cover help needed!

My not-yet-complete stash is about 1/2 pockets and 1/2 fitteds. I have a handful of PF's too which I keep trying; sometimes they work for me and sometimes not.

My DS is 12 months and appears to be developing into a "flooder". Today he took a 2-hour nap, dipe nearly dry upon waking, then 1/2 hour later I had a HUGE leak from his SEZ after a car ride; he must have been saving it up for the car ride!

I have Bummis SWW, Prorap, ME airflow, Bumpy Day. The only one which I seem to be consistently successful with (e.g. no leaks and no red marks) is the Bumpy Day, although I had a bit of wicking at the thigh the first time, maybe user error. The Bummis are pretty good but if I get a flood I get leaks. The ME airlow works ok but I don't really like how it fits (not really the poofiness but it's kind of awkward to get it on his legs properly).

I don't really want to spend the $$ on several more Bumpys but will if there are not other good options. He is in the XL bumpy. I will bit the bullet and do it if necessary....

Has anyone tried the SEZ covers? I like the pockets I just got. Is it harder to get a good fit with the snaps?

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: Cover help needed!

Okay, I've tried the SEZ covers, and it works very similarly to the ME airflow, except it's partially front/side snapping like the pockets, so I think it's easier to get on. When I have it on too tight (like I put on a really big diaper), sometimes it looks like it folds over, but I've never had a leak with them. I do like them, because they're nylon and very thin, so they don't add any bulk to my diapers. I don't know how they'd hold up in a flood, though.

Hmm...Do you snappi your PFs? If you snappi them, you can make sure the gussets are snug around the legs, making leaks less likely. I do have to say that any leaks I've ever had with any diapers have been pockets in general. I've never had pee leaks with a snappi'd PF in a cover. I don't usually get pee leaks with fitted either. Actually, the pocket that has given me the most trouble has been a Baby Blanket with suede cloth inner. For some reason, and I don't know if it's because of repelling issues or because suede cloth doesn't absorb as quickly when you get a flood, or maybe it's just that these particular pockets don't fit DD well, but I think I've had 4 pee leaks total with DD and they've all been in a BB pocket. Now I have had some wicking around the legs with the other pockets, but that's a different issue altogether.

If you don't want to spend the money on Bumpy Days, you could try Literaps. I've had really good experiences with them. Their design is very similar to Bumpys. I think sometimes they're called Bumpy knockoffs. I've never had a day, but the design was of my literaps were very similar to the Bumpy wool that I had. Literaps run on the large size, at least compared to Bummis. I don't know how they compare to Bumpy's.

I hope this gives you some start.

ETA: Out of curiosity, what do you stuff your pockets with?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
    http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtic...4.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

pittsburghgirl Guest

I have been trying to snappi my PF's. The premiums don't seem big enough to get around his hips (I don't think he's particularly large, but I don't really have a comparison!) I have one toddler CPF (needs another wash or two) and a toddler IPF on the way to try. The toddler CPF is SOO huge, though, there is a lot of foldover and bulk. I don't think my leaks have been with the PF's, but I'm not using them often enough to be sure (although I have used a few times just trifolded in a Bummis and that may have been the leak-time.) The Bummis SWW are nice but the medium is hardly big enough in the rise to get over most of my fitteds and the large is really too big to get the right fit.

I also had big leaks with my BB! I had two LizaJane daytime inserts in there and still had a huge leak (LJ's had been washed several times!) I don't think the suedecloth works for us but I'm going to keep trying, maybe adding a micro towel to the LJ's (which after washing don't reach the sides any more).

I stuff my FB's with Cotton Babies inserts. The PT FB is my most reliable pocket so far; only had some slight wicking when I knew he had been in the dipe too long. A few issues with the large FB but it doesn't fit quite as well. I have tried my new SEZ with the SEZ inserts but I definitely need another wash or two to get full absorbancy on those; plus I don't think I have the snap configuration quite right yet. I have also tried micro towels from Walmart, and JB. I don't have any infant size PF's to try stuffing with so haven't tried that. The towels don't really do it for me unless he's in the dipe for a short period of time. The JB needs something else, I'm not sure what yet.

I guess I'll try a litewrap. There have been good and bad reviews on that so I have been hesitating.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

While pockets are great for their convenience, I have to say they can be a real pain in the butt when it comes to trying to figure what will work best for your baby at any particular stage of their growth! In other words, if their shape/size changes, or their output changes (LOL), then you may have to play around with different inserts to get maximum efficiency/containment. At least that's been my experience. The problem is that if you don't stuff them enough for your baby, your baby's output may exceed the stuffing's capacity, and you'll get leaks. If you overstuff them, they may gap around the legs (especially if the child sits up or crawls, or changes positions drastically) and you'll get leaks. If you haven't washed your inserts enough to achieve desired absorbency, or if the inserts to quite reach the edges inside, you may get leaks. Do you see a trend? :P Still, I think I've finally (at least for this stage of her growth and shape) achieved some equilibrium with my pockets, for now.

Towels by themselves will definitely not be enough for your DS, based on what your describing. Infant PFs won't be either. You'd have to do both, probably. You can play around with the towel inside the PF or wrapped around the PF to see which works better.

I can imagine that the toddler PFs would be huge. But supposedly, they're the same length as premiums, but they're wider (so they may snappi better around your DS's waist?). What kind of fold are you doing? I was doing a modified angel fold (or maybe newspaper fold) for the longest time, but I recently have had trouble snappi'ing it around her waist so I switched over to the bikini fold. The advantage of that is it that is uses more length, and is easier to fasten around her waist. Kerri had a recent thread where she showed pictures of that fold. So you may want to try that.

Literaps get mixed reviews, maybe because people don't think they're quite as soft as Bumpy Days? The good thing about them is that they're cheap, so you can get one to try and you won't be out that much $$ if you decide you don't like them. I actually used those and bummis when DD was younger. I liked them better than Bummis for poop containment (gussets vs. no gussets), and they didn't tend to leave red marks the way the Bummis did. But that was just our experience.

Anyway, good luck!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...n_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

>I have been trying to snappi my PF's. The premiums don't
    >seem big enough to get around his hips (I don't think he's
    >particularly large, but I don't really have a comparison!)

I am starting to have this problem as well. I was having space between the side of the PF and the front part of the PF. I do the Angel fold and now I sort of fan out the front so that the front part of the PF can go under the sides of the PF. Does that make sense?
    Kris

This is what I do, too! The indian PFs are especially getting hard to snappi. I tried a toddler unbleached CPF the other day, I have a couple, and that was SO easy to snappi, but fairly bulky. Definately nice for when you don't care about huge bubble butt.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

I haven't tried this with the IPFs yet, but with the CPFs when I switched over to the bikini fold from the newspaper fold, it made it easier to snappi. I can try the IPF tomorrow if you'd like.

Eileen

emelsea Guest

I agree on your cover dilemma. I really like my Bumpy Day, too. I bought a pack of the Especially For Baby covers from Babies R Us, and they are my second favorites - the cut is exactly like a Bumpy. They have a cotton outer cover, too, which I like. They came in a pack of two for about $8, I think. Only problem was, they come in a pack with one white and one polka dot, either pink or blue, and for the longest time the store near me only had pink. I'm all for gender equality, but I have to draw the line at putting my son in a pink polka dot cover. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get these online, you have to go to the store.

I'm having issues with the Premium CPF's fitting around DS's waist, too. I tried the bikini fold, and it was great! Until he pooped. Now I just cinch him in the angel fold as best I can. Sometimes I feel really bad, because the snappi seems to be so tight on his waist, but he is still exclusively BF'd, and I need those gussets on the side to keep in the poop.

Have you tried a HH? I loved the one I bought! It really seemed to fit DS well. I don't know if I want to try a FB and SEZ, or just stick with what I know I like.