Default How many wet diapers should my 20 month old have?

Recently DS seems to have taken a decline in the number of wet diapers in a day...what are your kids this age doing?

DS is in cloth diapers so I definitely know when he's wet. Today he woke up wet (always does), but has not been wet again all day in spite of my frequent checking. It's dinner time and I'm about to check him again...hoping he's wet now.

Previously he had been averaging around 5-6 wet diapers, now it's more like 3 or 4. (Today will probbaly be a 3....hopefully).

Thanks for your help and input.
    Julie
    SAHM Mom to Ryan (who just happens to have Prader-Willi Syndrome) 2/04
    www.pwsausa.org - Still Hungry For a Cure

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: How many wet diapers should my 20 month old have?

So he wasn't wet at all between morning and dinner time? That doesn't sound right. How is his fluid intake?

I'd say that it is normal for them to start going 2-3 hours without being wet (kinda a first step towards PT) but not all day.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

At that age, Joshua was still having 6 wet diapers a day. I's make sure to always have a sippy cup of water available for him to drink, just left out so he can get it when he wants. If his urine output doesn't increase by tommorrow, I'd call your Ped. and make sure he isn't dehydrated.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Well....he was back to 5 wet diapers today, at reasonable/expected intervals.

His fluid intake has always been at the low end of the normal range...yesterday was a little lower so maybe that's what it was...but I was looking back over his chart for the last couple of weeks (DS has metabolic condition so I track his food, output, therapies, etc.) and he has had many days with just 4 wet diapers...on one hand this is definitely down from the prior average of approximately 6..on the other hand when he does wet...he is really wet....so actual output is probably the same, just over fewer times.

BTW I do leave water out most of them, but DS doesn't drink it. And at meal and snack times he can drink as much milk as he wants, but frequently doesn't finish the first amont offered so it's not as though he is being cut off when he's still thirsty.

Thanks for your responses..hopefully it was just an off day for him.
    Julie
    SAHM Mom to Ryan (who just happens to have Prader-Willi Syndrome) 2/04
    www.pwsausa.org - Still Hungry For a Cure