Default leaky diaper help!

My DS is 10 days old and is a very leaky baby. We tried Huggies NB and they seemed small, then moved him into size 1 of Pampers Swaddlers. He was circumcised 3 days ago and we are still waiting for his stump to fall out. Unfortunately every night I am changing his entire wardrobe and bedding b/c he is peeing up his back! I am getting so frustrated with this situation. I know that we are putting the diapers on snugly b/c he was starting to get marks on his legs. What are we doing wrong? Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: leaky diaper help!

Try Huggies size 1 - Supremes run a bit smaller than the other line (used to be Ultratrim - baby-shaped, maybe?). He might just not be a Pampers baby! Or try a generic, like Target, or Luvs. Even Pampers Baby Dry are shaped a bit differently than Swaddlers.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

> Even Pampers Baby Dry are shaped a bit differently than Swaddlers.

Yup, made on totally different lines. Baby Dry & Luvs will mostly likely fit the same, however.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

We've also tried Baby Dry. They are a bit big on him and I am wondering that if once his stump falls off the diapers will fit better. I am just so tired from the night feedings. I change his diaper after he eats and about 20 mins after I lay him down he pees. Basically night feedings last for over an hour with all of the diaper changes.
    Rebecca
    DS 9/05
    DS 6/07

shburks is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had a very similar issue and ds was always peeing up his back--sometimes as soon as I'd get him into clean diaper and clothes and pick him up, he'd be wet again. Weird. That happened in Huggies, so we switched to Pampers and no issues. Maybe just switch brands again and see if something else works. After a while, we could use any brand and it was fine, but there for a while, we had to stick with Pampers!! Maybe your son isn't a Pampers baby. :)

Susan

I agree with trying different brands. Before we went cloth we were mainly a huggies family, but had to switch back and forth between the Supreme and UT as he went through cycles of plumping up and thinning out/lengthening. We now use walmart White Clouds when we need sposies for DS and I like them better than Huggies, and cheaper too in those early days when you're using a dozen or more a day!
    Lynne
    Mommy to C 3/03
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
    And Miss Purple, 5/05

You know my aunt was telling me that she had a lot of problems after circumcision with leaking b/c of the position of her son's "member". I don't remember if it was in back or front though. I know for us at Newborn we did better with Huggies. I've always hated Pampers b/c they never fit right. We use Target brand and love them, when DS is in between sizes we use Huggies Supreme. I definitely think a switch would be good for you.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

kboyle Guest

Default RE: Too much vasoline?

I had the EXACT same problem with DS1. I couldn't figure out why all these diapers SUCK. Well...they didn't. I realized that if I pushed his little circumsized friend down that it would help with pee leakage from the front. When I did that then sometimes I got pee leakage from the back. This ALL got eliminated when I stopped using vasoline. The jelly was causing the front of the diaper to be non-absorbant and only absorb towards the back. Once that back was peed on it just kept rising. After his little friend was healed and I stopped using vasoline all of his leakage problems stopped!!

HTH, maybe you have the same problem I did. With DS2 I noticed the same back leakage problem and so I used less vasoline. Once I stopped no more leaks!!

baby_mis1 Guest

Default RE: leaky diaper help! - Me Too!

We are having the same problem with DS#2. He is now 3 weeks old, and the problem started at about 4-5 days. We briefly solved it (1-2 days) by switching to Huggies Supreme, but problem is back. We are not using anything to change the absorbancy of the diaper, his circumcision has healed, and his umbilical cord has come off while the ;eaking continues. We have had the same problem whether using Luvs NB, Pampers Swaddlers 1, or Huggies Surpreme 1. Sometimes the diaper is overflowing with pee, even though we change frequently, other times it appears there was some operator error that allowed the pee to leak out. I am making sure I point "it" down - anything else I need to look out for? The problem is the worst when he is lying down, but DH and I have also gotten soaked while holding him. This is causing up to 6 outfit changes a day (not including the occasional change for poop leaks!), and the laundry is starting to pile up!

Thanks,
    Valerie
    Mom to Jonas 2-21-02 and Tobias 9-28-05

Default RE: leaky diaper help! - Me Too!

Hopefully I am not jinxing myself! Using the Pampers Baby Dry has helped. We still have the occasional leak, but these diapers do work much better than the others that we've used. I learned that its not so much the technique of putting the diaper on, but the actual diaper itself. But I have also learned that each baby is different from reading the boards. Our big problem right now is fighting a case of diaper rash and also learning how not to pee the second that mommy is about to close up the new diaper!

Good luck!
    Rebecca
    DS 9/05
    DS 6/07