Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CD'ers - How did you get started?

I'm just curious how everyone got started with CDs - where did you first learn about them, how old was DC, what resources did you use?

I'm interested in CDing but not sure if it's something I'll commit to (what with this being my first child and having to learn everything else at the same time). So I'm just curious how/when y'all got started...
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: CD'ers - How did you get started?

I actually read about it in a book called The Tightwad Gazette as a way to save money. Then, I researched it online and decided we'd do it. This was before I was pregnant. Once pregnant, I did tons more research, found this forum, and learned tons about what I could do.

It's pretty easy to learn. We did some sposies and had to learn that as well, so it's not much different. The hardest part is finding a good night solution, especially if you have a heavy wetter. But, it's all doable.
    Kris

tarynsmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This board won me over to the dark side (lol) when DD was about 6 months. I thought pockets would be *perfect*, so I bought a sampler from one of the online stores (I can't remember who just now, but you can get a sampler of a few different brands from a lot of retailers). I decided which one worked best for DD, and got more of those. Now I've given up on pockets almost completely (we switched to AIOs and fitteds at nap and night). I also switched to buying used, so now all of her dipes are new-to-me.

As for resources, I pretty much used the incredible, knowledgable mamas here, but I've also gotten good into from diaperpin.com and diaperdecisions.com (they're the ones who do the Great CD Hunt twice a year).

HTH! I'll never go back to disposables (I doubt DD would let me anyway...)
    Heather, mommy to Taryn, January 16, 2006. And Baby Asher! Born February 25, 2009.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician in Pittsburgh PA.

Interested in wearing your baby in the Pittsburgh Area? Check out Pittsburgh Babywearers at www.pittsburghbabywearers.com!

My twin sister did it with her kids who are older (now 8 and 10). She used prefolds and wraps, and sposies at night. So I had been exposed to it.

I researched it on the internet, here and other places, and decided to do it. We used CDs from birth, I only bought 3 packs of sposies between birth and 18 months.

I've bought it all, tried it all, and I'm still planning on using the same prefolds and wraps, with some fitteds, when DC #2 comes this spring.

Its not hard, IMO, and I never knew a different way.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I thought about it when pg with DS, but wasn't too sure it would be my thing. I wasn't quite as crunchy in my parenting practices back then LOL. I read about them here, considered them, but it all seemed overwhelming at the time.

DS was born. We used sposies. They leaked and we had blowouts. We were spending a ton of money on them. DS's little bottom did NOT like commercial wipes at all. He didn't do well with "newborn", "gentle", "unscented" or any other commercial wipes.

So, we bought cloth wipes. It was our gateway drug to cloth diapering LOL. They worked soooooooo much better than disposable wipes. We didn't need 5 wipes to clean up a poop. One, maybe two if it was particularly messy. Once I started washing those, I thought, wow, this is not a big deal at all. Why not try some prefolds? So we started w/ prefolds and covers. It was economical. I didn't love prefolds back then but that was partially because I was new to using them. I like them much better now. We started CDing when DS was just about 3 weeks old.

If you start inexpensively w/ prefolds and a few covers, you can't really go wrong IMO. Even if you hate CDing (I bet you won't :P ), prefolds are incredibly handy for mini changing pads, for burp cloths, lap pads, and later as the best cleaning rags ever. You can also always resell. SO the investment isn't really that much and they have lots of other uses.

Try it...I'll bet you'll like it :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

DS just turned one, and we only started a few weeks ago. DH had wanted to do it, long before we ever had kids (he's way crunchier than me!), but I laughed it off, saying I had no desire to do any extra laundry. I started thinking about it when DS was past the liquid BF'ed baby poo, but then he became a super wiggler during diaper changes, and I didn't think it would be possible to manage snaps and a cover. Then bumGenius came out with the 2.0, and I knew that was the diaper for us. Bought a few, loved 'em, and now we use them during the day time, and we're moving into the world of fitteds and covers for night, since he's a super soaker at night.

Cost wise, we'll probably just break even by the time he's PT'ed, but if and when we have baby #2, every time we use cloth, we'll be saving $$. I'll probably start earlier with cloth next time around. It's much easier than I thought. Of course, we still use sposies at day care, so really, I'm only using a couple diapers at home on weekdays.

I learned everything I know from this forum, and from friends who didn't mind all my stupid questions, and even loaned me cloth to try.

-Ry,
    mom to Max the one year old
    and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

I learned about them here before DD was born but didn't think DH would let me (he's a germ/ick freak!). When DD was 7 months old I asked DH if I could switch and he agreed to try it. I learned everything I needed to know here, from the CD 101 thread and reading lots of archived posts and asking some questions. Now I also hang out on the Hyenacart forums - they are dangerously addictive! Give it a try! It's very fun :)

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

i cd'd a kid i babysat in college. i was 19. it was really easy. so i thought if i could do it at 19, i could do it when i was a mom. and it really is easy.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

I have this board to thank for my introduction to CDing! :) I never considered it before DD was born, no one I knew IRL used CDs. We didn't start until DD was 18 months.

It makes me feel so good knowing I'm not throwing away tons of dipes anymore. I also save a lot of energy by hanging most things to dry. Cloth wipes are awesome, too!

If you think it's something you might be interested in, read the Cloth Diapering 101 thread (pinned in this forum) a few times to get the feel of all the different choices with CDs. I'm still not nearly an expert, but feel very confident with CDs in only two weeks.

This board is a great resource and everyone is always helpful...so ask questions! There are many knowledgeable mamas here!

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just assumed that I would use cloth when I was pregnant. We used a cloth diaper service for about 4 months. I did not know that anything existed besides prefolds and covers. The covers we used with the prefolds were not good. We had serious leak issues. The service was expensive. We cancelled and used disposibles for about 7 months. I got fed up with the trash and after stumbling here realized what a wider world there was in terms of diapers. Some fitteds and pockets quickly arrived in the mail and we continued to exclusively cloth diaper until Toby potty trained fully (including nights) at a bit past 2 and 1/2. We ended up using mainly Motherease, Wonderoos and FuzziBunz though I did end up with some woolcovers as well. I found the info here helpful and I found diaperpin.com helpful too. Mothering just had an issue with a big thing on cloth as well, you might see if you can get your hands on it. Using cloth was easy and cheap for us (especially since I re-couped money by selling diapers at the end.)
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast