Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Anyone try "g" diapers?

Funny you should mention knitting... I do, infact knit... but just barely. I'm somewhat knitarded. Pregnancy has motivated me to put forth a real effort in figuring out how to knit something that isn't...well... flat. How did you learn?

RE: cloth diapers - I've spent some time looking around online this morning, and I think I might try to go with doublers inside the little g pants. They seem to be the right size, but I won't know until I have them in front of me.

Unfortunately, the St. Louis area isn't the best place for trying to go green, so I have to do quite a bit of hunting to find cloth diapers anywhere locally.

Seitvonzu Guest

Default RE: Anyone try "g" diapers?

oh crummy. i just had a HUGE post typed out to reply to this and it DISAPPEARED :(

i'll try to summarize:
    i earnestly started knitting after 9-11 because needed something to releave anxiety while i watched too much tv news. i had a couple books and used diagrams on the internet. i call the way i knit "mary style" because i'm sure it's not technically "right"-- i've relaxed about that because i like the results and i think a hobby should be FUN :)

you can knit diaper wrappers/ soakers flat. here is the one i've done so far:

http://warmheartwoolies.com/PlainWrap.pdf

i've done the small, but the first one i did is huge because i used different yarn that was perhaps too bulky.

as for non-flat knitting-- you should try hats! there are tons of free patterns available on the internet, but i like the one in "simple knits for cherished babies" that uses chunkier yarn. (this whole book is good , btw, i've knitted several things from it, it was actually the first pattern book i bought when i started beyond "how to" books) i LOVE that i can use Paton's SWS (soy wool stripes) yarn with this pattern... SWS comes in delicious colors and is very soft. it's perfect for a wintertime baby IMHO.

I also plan on buying this soaker pattern, which it says is done in the round with no kitchener (thank goodness!) i also like how the leg holes look more finished without having to pick up and knit:

http://www.warmheartwoolies.com/stor...atternsforSale

and if our big u/s says we're having a girl... i'll make these. they aren't practical, and they are so GENDER TYPIFIED, but i can't help it- i love them :
    http://cache.lionbrand.com/printable...4K-0704001.pdf

my parents live in the STL area too, alton, IL , across the river. you are probably right that that isn't the most green-friendly area in the country. i think people need to realize how nice and FRUGAL it can be to simplify your life. also-- who would ever think there was JOY in buying diapers? :) i say, if it's something you have to do everyday and you can do it more attractively, for less money and for less environmental impact, isn't it a no-brainer?

Default go green! gdiapers! prefolds! OH MY!!!

We're expecting our first in May and while we've got tons of experience with kids they're all sposie users. I don't think CDing is the best option for us right now but I'm really interested in the gdiapers (really appreciated all the info and posts) as an alternative. The cost is a little daunting when you consider how many diapers we'll use, but I think it's a better alternative earthwise than a sposie. Not to mention that we can't afford a diaper service and the coin-ops in our building only use cold water, not a problem for clothes and what not but with diapers....not a great idea. I kinda feel I should mention water usage as a factor to consider with cloth diapering too. It seems to me that maybe gdiapers are maybe a little more earth-friendly than either of the norms. No carbon emissions from diaper service trucks less energy use from heating water...I dunno. Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2