baronbride Guest

Default Sling or Carrier?

I'm going to be a first-time mom this April, and I'm now formulating my wish list for gifts. My husband and I are debating whether to look for a sling or a carrier (like the Baby Bjorn). With all the varieties out there, it's hard to make a decision. We're on a tight budget, so price and quality are important factors. Also, it's been a difficult process because DH is 6'4", and I'm 5'6"; finding something we can both use is also critical. Any suggestions?

Alicia

Default RE: Sling or Carrier?

I would start with a sling or pouch. A newborn is probably going to be more comfortable in a sling, and if you plan to breastfeed you can do it in a sling. I know people nurse in a Bjorn but I cant figure it out.

Also in a sling, you can do lots of different positions, unlike the Bjorn.

Unfortunately you wont really know what you and baby like till you use it. I have been through the Baby Bjorn, 2 Over The Shoulder Baby Holders, a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable fleece pouch, a hotsling and a Maya Wrap sling. And I am still looking for the perfect thing. If you dont like what you get you can always return it or sell it on Ebay.

If you want some great sling reviews and recommendations, try the Mothering.com babywearing message board.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some of it depends on how much carrying you're thinking about doing. A frequent complaint with the Bjorn is that when baby gets above a certain weight it is just too hard on the shoulders. Also it is not cheap!

I started with a New Native pouch, but when my baby got above about six pounds it was just too much weight for my neck and one shoulder, which is another consideration. I have been much happier with my Moby Wrap and Ergo since they use both shoulders and your waist for support. I agree with the PP that it can be hard to know until your baby is here. So you might want to start with a fairly inexpensive sling or pouch (I know the New Native is only about $40 or you can get them used for less, and there are lots of others similar or cheaper) and the Moby wrap is only about $30. See what you like and go from there.

Two sites with some good info and comparisons are TheBabyWearer.com and Peppermint.com.

HTH!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

I used the bjorn for my daughter and found it uncomfortable but it was all I knew. This time with DS I got a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch and LOVE it! Forget the bjorn I am hooked! We live in a walk up apartment so he is in the KKAFP multiple times a day and it has been a life saver as I am busy chasing DD who is almost 2.

My only complaint is that it is a bit warm to wear for long periods in my overheated apartment. I have ordered a hotsling to see if that will be better for inside.

I do not hesitate recommending the KKAFP as your only carrier (unless you live somewhere really warm) and especially over the bjorn. (also itis adjustable so both you and DH should be able to wear it) Try looking for one on SWAP to get a used one at a good price.

Good luck!

Well, since there is quite a bit of difference in the size of you and your husband, you will need a carrier that will be able to adjust to both of your sizes. Since you are on a budget, I think I would recommend the Moby wrap. It would be able to fit both you and your husband. It can be used in many different positions and can carry you from infancy into toddlerhood. As your child gets heavier, it gets pretty uncomfortable with a Bjorn because of the narrow straps on your shoulders. With the Moby wrap, the fabric is widely spread on your shoulders. It is a 2 shouldered carrier which is much more comfortable than a 1 shouldered carrier.

The Moby wrap definitely has a higher learning curve, but it's really not that difficult. I have a Hug-a-bub which is a stretchy wrap like the Moby, and at first, I felt overwhelmed by all the fabric, but now I use it every day easily.

HTH,
    Tereasa

baronbride Guest

I've seen some New Native slings on eBay. I am not the most coordinated person, so I'm not sure about the Moby. I'll look into all of these. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Alicia

Honestly, if you are looking at a pouch sling like the New Native, I think that the ones from hotslings are superior. www.hotslings.com Kristen will work with you via email to determine the correct size, even though you are currently pregnant and its tough to get accurate measurements. Her slings are affordable, and very easy to use. I have heard some complaints that it is hard to get the correct sizing on the New Native, it doesn't fit people well. Hotslings do. Check out the reviews at www.thebabywearer.com . A stretch cotton twill hotsling would be great with a newborn.
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Just wanted to chime in to say your baby will have to like it too. My daughter (now 3mo, 13lbs) hates carriers (Infantino, Baby Bjorn), and hated the pouch (I tried New Native Baby Carrier). She didn't like being constrained in them (in the carriers around her body, and in the pouch b/c she couldn't move her legs). So I had to go with a wrap. I got the Moby as an intro (it's inexpensive) and both I and she love it. It is very comfortable, easy to get her in and out, and since it's a single piece of fabric anyone can wear it (though my husband has no desire to use it). I am going to a sling workshop on Sunday and hope to try some fancy non-stretch wraps like Ella Roo or Dydymos, and also a Kozy (hope they have them over there).

BTW, thanks Tarah for the suggestion!

LD

pittsburghgirl Guest

Good advice here, I would go for a sling. I wish I had. We got a Bjorn at a shower and DS didn't last long in it, it was never very comfy and now that I know better, I wish I hadn't had him in there hanging by his crotch even for the short periods of time he was in there. Wish I had tried a sling (now we use an ABC carrier and love it!)

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png