knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Why is the KKAFP so great? Thinking of getting one..

Hi everyone,
    We were introduced to slings by accident.... Someone gave us a NoJo babysling, which I hate. I love carrying him around, though, and he also loves it. It's hard to put my baby in it without hitting his head on the ring. Its really bulky and I don't feel like the weight is distributed so evenly across my back.Also, the learning curve stinks! I'd like to figure out how to hold him in a "snuggle hold," like it says in the instruction booklet, but I can't seem to get it.
    It seems like everyone on these boards loves the KKAFP. Tell me why its so great. I checked out babywearer.com, but honestly, with a new baby around, don't have too much time to research!
    Thank you all!

-Rachel

sunflowerseeds Guest

Default RE: Why is the KKAFP so great? Thinking of getting one..

Hi there,
    I don't actually have one myself...but I just did alot of research on carriers and this sling in particular this weekend. By the way, my name is Rachel too!

I'm looking for a sling for my baby due in May. I've already got a Baby Bjorn and a Hip Hammock but none of these are for newborns and that was one of the things I was looking for. The KKAFP seem to be useful from birth to the toddlers years! I've read reviews and viewed the looks of the slings/wraps/pouches,...and so far, for me that is...this one fits my bill.

1) It doesn't look intimidating like some of the wraps or other slings with rings. I'm sure I'll have to learn how to use it properly with all the different holds and all...but somehow it looks more user friendly to me.

2) There are several different positions you can use: Cradle Carry, Breastfeeding, Kangaroo Carry, Tummy-to-Tummy, Hip Carry, and Back Carry. Options are good!

3) Useful from birth to toddler age. [Baby Bjorn is for 8lbs-20lbs and the Hip Hammock is from when the baby can hold up their neck up to 30lbs or 35lbs...I think.]

4) It looks sooooo cozy!

I've read that you really need to get the sizing correct to fully and comfortably use it but that doesn't seem too, too difficult. Also if you live in a warmer/humid climate, it might be uncomfortable during the hot days since it's fleece. But then, I got hot & sweaty wearing my daughter in the Bjorn and HipHammock too [I live in Seattle, WA]. Just being that close, sharing body heat, and doing chores or walking or whatever...will do that to a person. I'm still chosing the fleece over the cotton sling.

So I'm buying one soon and now my hardest decision is what color. :-)

I'm sure others [actual users!] will come along singing the praises of the KKAFP too!

:-) Rachel

A pouch is a good thing- Kangaroo Korner just happens to make a very good one. There are other brands out there making similar items that are just as good too.

The pouch is very easy to use so it is wonderful for beginners. The fleece is soft and cuddly and most babies love to be all snuggled down in there. It's perfect for winter weather. There are no rings to worry abour. Since it is adjustable you can change it as your baby gets older or if you need to lower it nurse and such.

I think you would be very happy with almost any pouch as long as it fits you properly.

If you don't want to pay full price check out this website
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I have a KKAFP and I love it. It is very easy to use, very snuggly and very comfortable. The adjustability is wonderful because sometimes it is hard to get sizing on a non-adjustable pouch perfect. You can also adjust it for different users if they fit within the size range, different positions, and bulker clothing.

I must say it sometimes gets really hot for both me and DS especially indoors while moving a lot. If I know I am going to be indoors and walking a lot like at the mall, I don't usually use the KKAFP as I get too warm and then DS gets too warm (his face gets all red). I usually use another carrier for those times.

Tereasa

JLiebCamm Guest

I just started using one with my newborn daughter and love it. With my son I had a Baby Bjorn, which was OK in the beginning but became uncomfortable as he got heavier. I never really liked the way his body was suspended in it either; his face was either smooshed against my chest or he was hanging front facing like a rag doll. I also tried an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder but it was bulky and hard to fit correctly. The KKAFP is not bulky and very pretty. DD looks so content in it and I feel very comfortable wearing her around. I love the versatility of it. I would highly recommend it.

Nemesia Guest

I, too, am thinking of getting one. Now I am wondering if I should order the cotton instead of the fleece. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jennifer

caridura Guest

I got the KK Cotton Pouch being that I live in Florida and I can use it all year. I love it. I'm still getting used to 'babywearing', but so far, it's easy to use and DD seems to like it too. After researching and reading all the posts on this board, I found that a pouch seemed to be the best way to go.

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I ordered one! I can't wait for it to arrive.....
    Thanks for all your help.