momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Carrier for a newborn?

I have never owned a sling but I am starting to consider one. Julia is 17 days old and wants to be held constantly. I am getting NOTHING done around the house right now and it is very hard for me to do things for my older 2 girls. I have a Baby Bjorn whuch I like okay that I leave in the car. I want something comfy and lightweight (summer is coming and it gets HOT in PA) that is appropriate for a small baby and is relatively easy to get on and off, as I am a sling newbie. I have been considering the Moby wrap. Thoughts or recomendations? Would like to keep the price under $75. TIA!

tiikeri2 Guest

Default RE: Carrier for a newborn?

The Moby Wrap is excellent for small babies--gives great head support and they really feel cuddled.

You might want to start with that, and then consider something else as she grows. I know the Hotsling always gets good recommendations here. It is a pouch--slip it over the head, put baby in, and away you go! Pouches are nice for simplicity, but because they are sized specific to a person, they are not something you can share with DH (unless you and DH have the same measurements).

If you are looking for more a carrier type, look at the Kolamo and the Kozy. The Kolamo has extra head support built in for little ones. These have a little more of a learning curve, but are very versatile and can be worn by people of different sizes (so DH or even older children could take a turn).

We have a Maya Wrap. Nice and lightweight, adjustable, but for some reason I've really not had luck with it with #2. She just does not like it and I cannot seem to adjust it comfortably. I wore it all the time with #1 and she seemed to enjoy it, so maybe I lost my touch between the two??? I think a Hotsling would have served us well with #2, and I still consider purchasing one because she still likes to be held a lot, but is in the pick-me-up-now-put-me-down stage.

HTH!

Kay

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The Moby is great, esp. if you have an older child who needs attention b/c with the Moby you can have both hands free.

Kay - the Hotsling may still be worth it to you, you can do a quick and easy hip carry when she wants up and then pop her out when she wants down. :) I love mine for hip carry!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

mamaAnn Guest

I would also suggest the Hotsling for general every day use and they are great for running errands and quick in/outs. For longer carries, naps, doing laundry, etc then I'd suggest the Moby or the Kolamo for the nice tall headrest.
    I love my Hotslings and Kolamo MT and they are the 2 carriers I use the most right now with my 4 mos old.
    When he was first born I mainly used the Hotslings and it was great since I have 2 older children as well.
    They are great investments since you can use until they are about 3 yrs old or more!
    Good luck
    Ann

knaidel is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When my son was around 3 weeks old I bought a KKAFP. It's VERY easy and everyone seems to like the high "popabilty" of it. Since you want something light, maybe the KKACP? I never tried it, but I assume its pretty similar?

You can get all of these used on the yahoo group BabywearingSWAP.
    tax deduction #1: 12/04
    tax deduction #2: 11/07
    tax deduction #3: 11/12