rochelsmommy Guest

Default please help me figure out babywearing! just had baby:)

ok. i just had my second daughter 3 weeks ago. with my first i used a 'baby bjorn' type of carrier by evenflo.
    i really want :
    1. something snugglier for this baby.
    2. one that is not a whole production to put on and off.
    3. i don't like the "crunchy" look of most slings that are big peices of fabric. (no offense to a/o here that does!)
    4. i most likely won't use it for long walks or keep it on all day. it is for a. quick errands instead of keeping her in a car seat b. when i'm out with both kids and she wants to be held but i need my hadns free c. calming her down when she is collicky around the house
    5. i like the cradle hold and also a more upright option for when her stomach hurts, like heart to heart (i think thats what it's called.)
    6. possibly nursing when out at a cafe or something? don't know how this works at all, but i guess i could ask a lactation consultant for advice once i get the sling i want.

soooo... after all that. i am thinking of a hotsling. i am on a really tight budget and this seems like the simplest option and the smallest so i can keep it with me all the time in a diaper bag. but i have no way of seeing one in real life so i'm only going on feedback from sites like this.

would a ring sling be much better for me? i'm more inclined towards the hotsling based on looks, but if it is really not comforable for what i mentioned than it probably won't help.
    i plan to share this with my DH but he is around my size and weight so i'm not worrying about adjustablity for that.

thank you for reading all this and replying.
    i am really overwhelmed with a new baby and a toddler at home and any replies are much appreciated!

Chani
    mom to Racheli 10/11/03
    baby Avigayil 11/13/06

Default RE: please help me figure out babywearing! just had baby:)

Hotsling is a hugely successful pouch, but it *is* nonadjustable, which means it has to fit just right. So when you loose the weight (assuming you put some on) it will fit you differently than it does now. This is why I am not a big fan of nonadjustable pouches.

I hear you on the "crunchiness" of wraps. When I got started I also thought the pouches were by far the most acceptable in terms of looks. But wraps are the ultimate it comfort, just so you know.

You don't have to go with a wrap, of course. An adjustable pouch might work (haven't tried any, so can't help much there). Mei Tais are another option. Though crunchier in looks they really don't look very different than commercial carriers (read 'Baby Bjorns' and such), and some are really modern looking. They are very easy to use and can be shared between people easily.

A ring sling is probably another good option b/c of its adjustability. I think they look crunchier than MTs and are not as comfy, but are probably the easiest to nurse in.

HTH

I agree with the PP :) We had a Peanut Shell fleece pouch, which is nonadjustable, and though I dearly loved it, I ordered it at 7 weeks PP so had already gone through most of my "size changing". It was not svery easy to nurse in, though my DD was over 2 months old when we tried it. A fleece pouch would be snuggly, easy to get on and off, mostly hands free (though it does tie up your shoulder and upper arm on one side), and you could do cradle and tummy to tummy holds. For an adjustable fleece pouch, I know many people love the KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch).

That said, we switched to a MeiTai when DD was 5 months and still use it all the time. It truly is hands free and many people ask me "Is that a Snugli?" so I don't think its too crunchy looking. :) You can nurse it in with an older child, probably not so easy wit a newborn, since they have to be upright to nurse in a MeiTai. It is also not as snuggly (IMO) or as easy to put on/take off as a pouch or ring sling.

I haven't used ring slings or wraps so won't try to comment on them :) Hope you find something you love!

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used my sling in a lot of the ways you described and was thrilled with my hotsling, and then a couple of homemade pouch slings. The only things I couldn't do with mine were carry a newborn upright and nurse in it (but apparently some have been able to manage this?)

As for adjustability- my hotsling was too big when it arrived. I adjusted it on my own with a sewing machine. If you (or even your Mom or MIL) sews even a little bit, it's a really easy fix, but also a permanent one. If you don't sew, or have someone close to you that does, you might want to consider an adjustable pouch instead.

Fleece is totally the way to go for cozy! :)

rochelsmommy Guest

Default RE: more questions :)

thanks everyone. i can't go with fleece b/c we live in miami and it's hot even now in Dec.!

i am only 3 weeks postpartum, but i have lost most of the weight (and the remaining weight seems to be in my hips:), but i still might change somewhat.
    on the other hand, i figure i'll get one that fits for now and it will hopefully fit for the next few months. plus, i thought i can turn down one side of the shoulder to make it fit tighter. is that right? does noone buy one early on b/c it's not adjustable? i reall like the look of the non-adjustable. it seems very slim/chic looking.

what positions can you carry a newborn in? is it only the lying down cradle hold? i think she will prefer to be upright (she tends to be pretty gassy and holding her upright alot helps), does anyone have experience, or better yet pictures, of a hotsling being used like this?

where is the best place to buy from? i'm thinking of using attatchedtobaby.com, anyone know of a cheaper site?

oh, one last question. is it better to go with a tighter fit or a looser fit? i'm thinking tighter so it doesn't strain the back.

thanks again,
    Chani

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I liked a looser fit with a newborn and a snugger fit when I did a hip carry with an older baby/toddler. I guess I never really considered the disadvantage of hotsling being non-adjustable because once I bought my first one, I just made myself more in whatever size I felt like I needed, LOL!

Really the only position I used with a newborn was the cradle position, but that worked so well that I wasn't terribly adventurous when it came to trying other positions.

Sorry! I'm not much help! Have you been to the Hotslings Website? [www.hotslings.com] They have a bunch of pictures of different ways to wear the sling.

waving hi from miami!
    send me a private message & you can see my stash, lol!
    seriously :-)
    I love a kkacp (adjustable cotton pouch)
    and hotslings
    and ringslings
    & Mei Tais
    & I even have a wrap or two ;-)

~laura
    Mommy to Jonah 7/17/03 & Ari 7/06

Yay, thats a great offer! Take her up on it! :)

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think the length of a ringsling varies with brand. Some have shorter tails, and some are really long, mostly for the looks. My ringsling is an ellaroo and it worked really well for all of the carries you mention, including nursing. The tail when to about my waist, but it wasn't all that wide, so I never felt like I was swimming in fabric. It was GREAT for nursing, very discreet. And easy to adjust. It's also rather thin so very squashable for shoving into your bag.

Yes, a hotsling is very compact, and I'm sure you can nurse with it as well, but I only used a borrowed one for a very short time, so I can't really speak to it's positives. It probably wasn't the right size so I had a lot of trouble getting it to fit comfy, esp. with milk filled boobs.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/