Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    doclbasse Guest

Default Sling for newborn, wearing around house

Hello. I have a 3 week old newborn who likes to be held all the time! Since I would like to still be able to do things around the house while holding her (like make myself lunch!), I was thinking of trying a sling. Any recommendations for an easy to use sling for wearing around the house would be very much appreciated!!

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Sling for newborn, wearing around house

I prefer a simple ring sling, like a Maya Wrap or a Zolo cotton ring sling for carrying my 9 week old (whose probably smaller than your 3 week old :) ). I've been using it since she was 6 pounds. I wear her tummy to tummy with her head cradled against my chest.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

ok here's what I say, LOL:

a www.mobywrap.com
    is perfect for newborns (looks complicated, but it's not)

a www.kangarookorner.com adjustable pouch is great (adjustable is good to start w/ bcse of post partum weight that will come off)

and of course a ring sling (harder to learn this one, in my opinion)

www.thebabywearer.com is an amazing resource & the www.thebabywearer.com/forum has a FSOT (for sale or trade) forum so you can buy carriers for less

HTH!

~laura in miami~
    ~jonha 7/03 & Ari 7/06~

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with Beth. A simple ring sling that is infinitely adjustable as your baby grows.

My son also liked to be held all the time and I would have gone BONKERS without my Zolo cotton sling or my Maya Wrap. I loved them both.

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

I agree with pp that a moby wrap is awesome for newborns and wraps are super comfortable if you are wearing baby a lot. I don't personally love a ring sling for a newborn because the rings make it harder to do the cradle carry but it's a fine option if you are intimidated by the wrap (but don't be because they are easy and once you have it on you can take baby in and out as needed).

My favorite is one the PP also mentioned, the KKAFP.

Laurel
    Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

I'm not intimidated by the wrap, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it would be a PITA to nurse in with a newborn who nurses a bajillion times a day and has no head control? Educate me please. :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Nah, it's completely possible to nurse in a wrap, not a PITA esp if you have a stretchy wrap since there's enough give to not have to re-wrap each time.

With a moby or other stretchy wrap, you just tie on the wrap in the AM and then put baby in and out in whatever desire position.

If you need more info, or have more specific questions, LMK! You can also view the moby website for positions.

HTH,

Laurel

Do you nurse with the baby in a vertical position in a wrap then?

Also, do they make you hot? I tend to get hot really easily which is another reason I've avoided them.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My first carrier was an Ellaroo lightly padded Ring Sling. It was quite easy to use once I was shown, and very comfy. Mostly I used it when we took DD to church, but she always fell asleep in it, so I assume she was fine with it too!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Jennifo Guest

I am in the EXACT same boat right now! Does anyone have any input on Lucky Baby Slings? As far as the KKAFP, which one is the best - fleece or cotton? I have a Maya Wrap Sling right now, but my 3.5 week old's neck looks SO miserably crooked in it - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast