hudsonam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default LL Bean or Lands' End Zip-Top Totes?

I'm checking out each of their totes to use as a baby/toddler and an all-purpose bag, but I don't know which one to get. I have a couple of the big totes already, which were gifts over the years, but I don't know if I have LE or LL Bean, or both. They are both big, sturdy bags.

I like that LL Bean allows you to get longer handles, but I know Lands' End customer service is wonderful. I like Lands' End's black bag with tan trim. I'm looking at the zip top for both.

Does anyone have both and can compare them? Do you think medium is a good average sized bag - not too big, not too small? TIA!

chubbycheeks Guest

Default RE: LL Bean or Lands' End Zip-Top Totes?

I have a med from LL Bean from ages ago, and I would say that it's a good all purpose bag. I too, was thinking of getting another tote for the summmer. I like that the LL Bean has the longer handle option, but I like that Lands Ends has the internal pockets. But, these bags are heavy IMO, and so I think that I am going to opt for one of the Timbuk2 cargo totes.. they seems a good combo of the two and since I believe that they are ballistic nylon, I would imagine that they are a good deal lighter than the heavy canvas. Just my thoughts!

nitaghei Guest

Can't help you with size - but LL Bean CS is awesome; definitely as good as Lands End. So that should not be an issue.

Also - there is a build your own tote option, with a variety of colors, at LL Bean

http://tinyurl.com/8zdd6

You can definitely do a black bag, but there doesn't seem to be an option for tan handles, though there are several other colors to choose from.

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

"Moderation is best in all things." Hesiod

ckleist Guest

the t2 cargo totes are heavy, I would say heavier than a cotton canvas. Between me and my dh, we several t2 bags (large cargo tote, mini metro, commute, messenger) and the material is like a heavy ballistic nylon that you would find in luggage. Also, the interior is coated w/ a rubber like material that makes them waterproof which adds to the heaviness and makes the material stiffer and more structured. I briefly had one of the totes (not the cargo tote) and returned it because it was very floppy. I was disappointed because I was expecting the interior to have the waterproof lining, but it didn't, but was surpised by what a difference the lining made in the stiffness of the material and making it more structured, if that makes any sense.

If you are familiar w/ the Fluerville Slingtote ballistic nylon bags, these bags are heavier and stiffer due to the lining.

chubbycheeks Guest

>the t2 cargo totes are heavy, I would say heavier than a
    >cotton canvas. Between me and my dh, we several t2 bags
    >(large cargo tote, mini metro, commute, messenger) and the
    >material is like a heavy ballistic nylon that you would find
    >in luggage. Also, the interior is coated w/ a rubber like
    >material that makes them waterproof which adds to the
    >heaviness and makes the material stiffer and more structured.
    >I briefly had one of the totes (not the cargo tote) and
    >returned it because it was very floppy. I was disappointed
    >because I was expecting the interior to have the waterproof
    >lining, but it didn't, but was surpised by what a difference
    >the lining made in the stiffness of the material and making it
    >more structured, if that makes any sense.
    >
    >If you are familiar w/ the Fluerville Slingtote ballistic
    >nylon bags, these bags are heavier and stiffer due to the
    >lining.

Bummer! Thanks for the heads up. . I was hoping this would be a good solution for me, but guess need to do some more looking!

hudsonam is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks everyone!

I'm really torn about which site to order from, and what color to go with. I really love the black one at Lands' End, but I like the long handles at LL Bean. And then I wonder, with summer coming, should I get a summery bag? I'm not even totally sure what I'll use this for. I'm thinking maybe I'll take it to work sometimes if I'm carrying extra stuff, and then maybe as a quick trip diaper bag sometimes... For the price, maybe I should get one from Lands' End and one from LL Bean! :) I can always return one I guess!

jenfed1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have several LL Bean ones...if you get one, I'd suggest black, because the light ones get filthy. You can wash them, but they never get truly clean looking after the start getting beaten up.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The medium LE tote is higher (think rectangular) than the medium LL Bean tote, which is more square-ish.

I have both and I actually prefer the LE totes. They have the external pocket, which you can only get on the custom LL Bean totes. Mine are all older and don't have the interior pockets, but I understand that the new LE totes have 4 interior pockets. That is the deal-maker for me.

The shoulder straps on the medium LE totes are long enough to wear over your shoulder.

HTH

Melissa

Maya Papaya!
    http://lilypie.com/baby2/040411/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]