Thread: bellybutton

julesjlb Guest

Default bellybutton

My 4 week old son lost his umbilical cord stump last week. Since then his bellybutton has been oozing. It does not look infected. Should I be worried?

starrynight Guest

Default RE: bellybutton

Does it look like there is still a yellowish spot in the middle that didn't totally dry up? Is it oozing puss, clear fluid or what? It could be a umbilical granuloma (sp?) the only way to know for sure is have the doc look at it and put silver nitrate on it to dry it up if is is a ug. Both my girls had them and as soon as they got the sn put on it was healed up in a day or so.

julesjlb Guest

It is oozing a yellowish brownish sticky substance . . . hard to describe! It does not look like pus. He goes to the doctor on Wednesday, but I didn't know if I should call before then or not. Like I said it doesn't look infected, but I still worry.

Our son also needed a little silver nitrate. The doc also advised us to add a little alchohol on a q-tip. Normally you do nothing but in our case it helped it dry up a little faster.
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

starrynight Guest

If it's not puss and isn't bothering your son, I'm sure it can wait until the doc appt Wensday. Just have the doc look at it, he/she will know by looking at it if it needs the silver nitrate or not.

julesjlb Guest

Thank you for your advice. We had our son to the doctor yesterday and he did just what you said, silver nitrate. Thanks for preparing (and reassuring!) me.