Thread: OUCH teeth!

ceng Guest

Default OUCH teeth!

Ok I know this has been posted before but i forgot what was said. My DD who will be 9 months next week has learned a new trick. To day she bit me , twice. It really hurt! Still does and it was hours ago. She was really fussy so i picked her up to nurse. She did for awhile and began to doze off and wham! She bit me! I popped her off and said "No biting". I went to end the session and she began crying and rooting. So I tried again. She nursed for about 3 seconds and she did it again and this time drew blood. So I told her again no biting and put her down to play. She has bit before but not like this. She really bit down! Any advice on how to nip this bad habit in the bud?

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: OUCH teeth!

Here's a link to some information from La Leche League.
    [http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html]
    I remember keeping a finger right next to DS's mouth for awhile ready to take him off the instant it seemed like he might bite. That seemed to help.

I think you are right on track with ending the session right away. DS did the same thing about that age and he stopped quickly. Your DD will too. If she bites and you can't get your finger in there to break the latch, gently push her face into your boob. She will release immediatly. Good luck mama. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Ditto. Once DS figured out there was no more nursing after biting, he stopped biting. It was a very quick lesson.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

kath68 Guest

What pps said. Also, I found it helpful when I yelped loudly in pain (not that it was a choice). DS seemed freaked out that he hurt me (he'd cry), and was not quick to repeat.

brandiscrapbook Guest

I just wanted to say that we tried everything with my son (now 3) who bit all the time. He did not let go when I pushed his face into my breast. He thought it was so funny! Every time he bit me and I would yell at him, he would laugh hysterically at me. Now, we are starting to have similar problems with #2 who is 8 months. The way I finally got him to stop was to cry when he did it. And not just any cry - I had to do a baby cry - close my eyes and slowly open my mouth and let out a slow howl until I had my mouth wide open with a loud cry. This seemed to get his attention and after about a week maybe, he stopped biting all together.

Good luck - I hope you have much better luck than I did.

DS has been nibbling on me off and on for nearly 5 months now. I've tried all the suggestions listed here and on the LLL web page. Nothing has helped. All I can tell you is that it has gotten much easier for me to tell when a bite is coming and I can usually head it off.

Good luck!

jennifer