Thread: poop color

Caroline1124 Guest

Default poop color

I know that in the beginning for breast-fed babies poop is supposed to be mustardy.. but what about for babies a little older?
    Dylan is 3.5 months (7/31/03) and lately his poop has had a greenish tint to it, sometimes more brown, and it is much thicker. Gross and stinky. I've heard that green means he's not getting enough hind milk, and my supply has decreased since returning to work, but when should I be concerned enough to call the doc or what should I do??

McQ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: poop color

I hadn't read anything that talks about not enough hind milk. Declan's poops are sometimes green (TMI alert like camouflage) but he's been on solids since 4 months and formula FT since 6 months so we always attributed it to the peas/beans/spinach. Sorry this wasn't helpful.

Allison
    ~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

COElizabeth Guest

If he doesn't seem to be having any tummy aches or any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it. James had green poop for months and months. If anything, I think an oversupply is more likely to cause the lack of hindmilk problem, because the baby might fill up on foremilk and never get to the hindmilk. At any rate, a pediatrician (not mine, but an acquaintance) once told me that the only poop colors that were a serious concern were black and white.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

stefani is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My son is 4 months old and his poop varies from yellow (sometimes almost fluorescent) to green. He is breastfed exclusively and has not started on solids yet. I was told that as long as the poop is not red, white, or black (black was OK when it was meconium, in the early days, but not at this stage) then it is OK.

Marissa Guest

My son (4 months old) went through same phase. As long as he seems happy/active, his diapers are wet/soiled, and he's gaining weight, there isn't anything to worry about. My ped said green is fine, doesn't "mean" anything.