mamahill Guest

Default I'm trying REALLY hard not to laugh at her...

First of all - can I just say that it is so fun to see people who know everything (ahem, Beth) asking question. I'm sitting here thinking, "Well if she doesn't know, who does?" But then I realized there is a wealth of information and expertise out there and while I'm a little sad that I'm now checking out the "Toddler Boards," I feel like I'm in some elite club - woohoo.

But the reason for my post is that I'm trying REALLY hard not to laugh at Ainsleigh's form of a tantrum. Seriously, you'd think she's the fourth stooge or something. When she gets mad, she gets down on all four and crawls - agressively - backwards. Like I care? I just sit there shaking my head trying to to giggle because that only makes her crawl faster and more angrily. Eventually, she runs into something (which she then scolds) and proceeds crawling backwards.

That, and she'll lay on her back and "run" so that her head/shoulders are basically pinned, but the rest of her body pivots around. I'm glad she's not throwing things or hitting people, but this is just bizarre.

I'm raising a wierdo.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: I'm trying REALLY hard not to laugh at her...

This made me laugh out loud. Abby doesn't do anything this cute when mad, but when she's really excited, she does a baby version of Michael Jackson's moonwalk. :)

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

atlbaby Guest

That's too funny! I would be giggling too!:) I also have a hard time not laughing when Arielle tantrums. She does a variation of the "Stop, Drop, and Roll" that they teach you to do when there's a fire. The second the tantrum begins she freezes wherever she is (usually the kitchen), drops to the floor, rolls onto her back and gets into her scream fest. She also pivots around on her back while she's on the floor, but never really travels anywhere. I think it's so funny how all toddlers have a form of getting down on the floor to tantum, be it on all fours:) or on their backs or otherwise.

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2 EDD 10/24/03:)

Kate888 Guest

LOL :D Ainsleigh is too cute!! Wish I could see her in action! Maya hasn't shown any major episode of tantrum yet. I'm waiting to see what is ahead of me :)

Kate
    Mama to Maya 2-17-02

jojo2324 Guest

LOL!! Gannon had a little fit outside the toy store the other day (he was REALLY loving the maracas!) and threw himself down on the sidewalk, but no pivoting or backwards movement...Instead, he righted himself very quickly and ran back in the store.

But I cannot for the life of me keep a straight face...Especially because he argues with me. I try to keep a stern tone going, but he just gets right up, throws out his arms, and starts speaking VERY defiantly. I know I shouldn't encourage it by laughing, because he then starts smirking, and who KNOWS what it will lead to in the future, but it's so hard not to.

I am realizing every day how much strength my parents had when they yelled at me. :)

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Those are such funny tantrums! I love the fact that Ainsleigh scolds the things she bumps into! :) Colin hasn't thrown a full blown tantrum yet, but when he gets mad about something he'll scrunch up his face and snort like a pig.

Gabrielle is a wonderful fit pitcher. I swear, my first was nothing like her! We went to do errands yesterday and she pitched fits in the consignment store (when I took the toy stroller away from her so we could leave) and again at the library, when I made her get into the stroller so we could leave. With A, I could just say, "in two minutes we're going bye-bye"....not with Princess crabby pants!

Her fits are to throw herself backwards and kick her feet. So if you try to pick her up during a fit (and make a quick escape out of a store....) you either get kicked or you're trying to keep from dropping her backwards on her bean head. Sigh....

The one that really cracked me up was when G pitched a fit and A decided to lay down beside her to give her pointers. A demonstrated that if she were to lay on her tummy and swing ALL her limbs, she would make a lot bigger production and more noise. LOL
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

atlbaby Guest

I'm laughing at the thought of your older daughter giving a demonstration to her little sister on how to have a proper tantrum.:) I'm SURE that Arielle will do the same courtesy for her little sister!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2 EDD 10/24/03:)

raynjen Guest

Noelle has almost given up tantrums - but this has nothing to do with good parenting!

She used to throw herself backwards on the floor conking her head in the process (which REALLY) made her scream. One day DH managed to slip his foot between her head and the floor and she sort of bounced back to a sitting position. She looked so suprised at being interuppted mid-tantrum we couldn't help ourselves. We just started that helpless knee-slapping/crying laughter that you CAN'T control. Ever since then she has been more and more half-hearted about it and the tantrums have been moving further and further apart. What luck!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)