Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    cara1 Guest

Default RE: What kind of shoes do you buy???

Last time I checked payless, they didn't have Wides. Am I remembering correctly? I also thought the Target SR knock-offs didn't have Wides. Anyone know where to find cheap wides?

I just went to Payless and saw a very small selection of wides available. I got a pair of 5 1/2 wide white sandals for about $10. They had adjustable velcro straps and seemed pretty flexible. The brand was called SmartFit. They had promotion going on where the 2nd pair is 1/2 off, but I didn't find anything else I needed. Sale ends Wed 9/17. You can go online to www.payless.com and click on shoe finder. Enter your size and width, and it will display what they have available online. The selection in the stores will vary.

luvbeinmama Guest

I just go the the Stride Rite outlet as my son needs wides, too. Since I have found it hard to find wides elsewhere, and the outlet is only about 15-20 minutes from home, and the shoes are usually only about $20-$25, I have stuck with that option.

raynjen Guest

Thanks for the fitting information! We live in Japan and I think the nearest Stride Rite or Nordstroms is about 6,000 miles away (give or take a 100). At the BX (base exchange, sort of like a military Wal-Mart only a LOT smaller) you are lucky if the sales staff can even find a shoe on the shelf much less fit it! So I really appreciate 'professional' help.

BTW...We run our home Japanese style, that is we leave our shoes at the door, is there any problem with DD going barefoot 75% of the time?

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

momathome is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's actually recomended that babies and toddlers go barefoot as much as possible. Shoes are needed to protect their feet outside but, inside, let her run free! If she is anything like my girls, she will love to throw her shoes off with reckless abandon!
    -Lauren

raynjen Guest

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. DH calls her "our little hippie" because the second the car starts up (and we are safely belted in out of arm's reach) we hear the rrriiippp of velcro as she gleefully rids herself of shoes and socks:).

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

AdoptChina Guest

As babies they all wore Stride Rite. All 3 of my kids have needed wide shoes (oldest needed extra wide as a baby). I also will only put leather on them since they have sweaty feet and the fake leather makes it worse. Once I found a really cute pair of suede sneakers for my son at payless. My daughter gets sketcher sneakers and the boys now wear vans,etnies etc

lesliehagan Guest

I'm super picky about shoes. I have somewhat hard to fit feet (high arches) and I remember all the torture I went through as a small child wearing cheap, poorly fitting shoes (I've got scars to prove it). I only buy flexible, all leather or breathable fabric shoes for myself, and that's all I'll buy for my daughter. Personally, expensive shoes improved the quality of my life, so I'm willing to spend more on that area of my daughter's wardrobe.

I usually shop at Nordstrom or Stride Rite, but if I see a nice pair of leather shoes at Marshall's, I'll buy them. Also after I'm sure of her size, I look for good deals on expensive brands on Ebay.

elf Guest

I've tried the Target and the other bargain strategies, and I've never found a shoe I liked in DD's size. So now I suck it up and just go to the kid's store (actually not Stride Rite but two smaller chains that have a large kid's section) and buy Stride Rites there - saving the time and frustration is worth the money I might theoretically save. But, I also only buy one pair for every day, plus a pair of sandals from Land's End.

But I have to say, I wouldn't feel right about going to a "mall store" to be measured, not buy anything, then go to a discount store. Their prices reflect the price of the shoe AND the service. If you want that service, IMHO, you should make a good faith effort to find a shoe that works at that store. Because if everyone does that, when you go back in 3 months for the next pair, the mall store will be gone. :(

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Consider that the mall stores have factored this in to the price of their shoes. And by offering the measuring service, they are drawing you into their store and increasing their potential customer base and sales. Its a win win for everyone. I don't feel bad at all having DD measured and buying at Target. Afterall, StrideRite has a whole line of shoes available at Target and other discount stores too.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast