lukkykatt Guest

Default How do you make one meal for dinner with a toddler?

So many times I end up making 2 separate dinners, because the boys don't want to eat the same foods that we do. Does anyone have dinner ideas that are reasonably healthy, and that your whole family likes?

I need ideas - I am tired of being a short order cook!

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: How do you make one meal for dinner with a toddler?

Ah the eternal struggle...

DS was the best eater a mom could hope for until about 18 months. He even ate an entire chicken breast when he was 1! Now, that he is 2, dinner has become a struggle for us as well, but I try to keep a supply of the few things I know he likes on hand.

Typically, DS eats the following (yes, everyday... I couldn'd handle this kind of monotony, but oh well):

Breakfast - 8 oz. milk; 1 sm. container yogurt and some cereal mixed in or an Eggo
    Snack - fruit (apples, etc.)
    Lunch - 1 PB&J sandwich on whole wheat (with crusts cut off), 8 oz. milk, cut up cheese or turkey
    Snack - fruit (mandarin slices, nectarine, apple sauce, etc.)
    Dinner - we try to give him a sampler of what we are eating, but we know that that is usually no use. He generally likes cheese, (whole wheat) noodles, pudding, tuna some days, yogurt, Craisins, raisins, etc. I try to pre-plate everything so there is no running around once dinner starts. He is only given a bit of what we are eating and a fairly good size serving of something healthy that he generally likes and that is all he gets to choose from. I try very hard not to jump up at every complaint, and if he really HAS to have something else, I ask him to take 2 bites of whatever I gave him first.

He is still a pretty good eater and some days he amazes us with how much he will eat, but dinner can be particularly frustrating.

Good luck... I'm curious what other people suggest, since our routine is far from perfect, but it works for us.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

raynjen Guest

I give my daughter the same things that we eat. I might cook her vegetable a little longer (DH like his practically raw) and I usually take out her portion and let it cool a little while I add the final spices, but that's about it. Oh, if we are having soup, or anything too liquid, I drain off most of the liquid so she gets a bowl of noodles and veggies or whatever. She doesn't always eat it, but I know she isn't starving so I don't worry (too much). Now, if I know she is being miss. prissy-pants and turning up her nose for no good reason (like I had to pull her away from Legos to the dinner table) then I put her whole dinner in the fridge and when she gets hungry later (as she inevitably does) I unwrap and reheat.

One of my favorite parenting gurus is Dr. James Dobson (of Focus on the Family) and he cautions against becoming a short order cook. I agree with almost ANY parenting advice that saves me time :)!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I totally agree. I generally serve Sarah what we're eating (unless its too spicy for her). I do always add something to her plate for dinner that I know she likes so she can eat.

So for example, if we're having chicken, rice and carrots, she'll get all that plus peaches. She may only eat rice and peaches, but its better than me cooking two meals!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We tend to serve Angela what we are eating, unless its something I know that she wont eat. One thing that we found that helps is having something for her to dip her meat veggies etc in. Chicken is usually served with Ranch dressing, this was the only way we would get her to eat her veggies at first, now she has no problem. Its just a matter of cutting the meat up really really small so they have less to chew, thats why most kids dont like meat.

I have seen several shows on getting kids to eat and basicaly its serve them what you are eating and give them options, they have to eat atleast three bites etc. Atleast try it more then anything. If they dont finish, then no dessert or snacks etc. You want to get out of the short order business not continue by making another meal. I would try offering dips for them to try...Angela loves having something to dip her food in. And let the boys decide. Angie loves dipping her chicken in anything from her pudding to her applesauce...gross but she eats it! She would be eatting the applesauce any way so why not?

As far as healthy meals are concerned...not really sure what kinds of foods you like etc. I personally say if its something you positively know the kids wont eat then make them something special like chicken nuggets and mac and cheese...its a quick fix for them and you and hubby can have your own good meal. We also give Angela a lot of soup...she loves it! One thing that my mom started her on was giving her a straw so she could drink the juice...the soup broth...she loves it because we always joke...dont get a noodle etc. she eats all the soup and a bit of the broth which is the best part!
    Hope some of this helps. Basically you have to be strict and "mean" and get them to eat, or not eat what you are making and stop being a short order cook!

luvbeinmama Guest

I try to make dinner that DS can eat which makes things a little monotonous here, as he cannot have milk or tomato, but I am also usually cooking for just the two of us (DH works swings). If I am trying something new, I try to look for recipes that has ingredients he would like, although he pretty much rejects sauces in general, and prefers his broccoli raw. So I generally am cooking a meat, a vegetable (or mixture of), a starch (which I only give him a little or he won't eat anything else). Sometime I do make two separate dinners for us, but that's usually when I want something with milk or tomatoes and I will generally just give him a variation of what I am having (like his pasta has margarine and garlic salt, no spaghetti sauce).