egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default She won't eat or drink at preschool any thoughts?

So Sarah ADORES her preschool. Doesn't cry when I drop her off, loves the teachers, has a great time there. Perfect. Except she won't eat a bite there and barely drinks at all. I know she won't starve for the 4 hours at preschool so I'm not so concerned about that, but is this typical? The teachers mention it every time I pick her up, so I'm wondering if this is unusual. When I pick her up, literally the second I have her she asks for milk and she downs the 8 ounce milk sippy I packed for her lunch before we have even leave the parking lot.

FYI, since this is a Jewish preschool, I have to send her lunch (they don't have a kitchen) and I am only sending her very favorite foods, so that's not the issue.

Thanks!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

flagger Guest

Default RE: She won't eat or drink at preschool any thoughts?

Beth could she me having so much fun that she won't stop to eat? Are there set snack times? I wonder if there is so much information it is like development that when she works on the social part, the hunger thirst part of her brain slows down.

Just a theory, but Ms. Flagger gets where she forgets to eat even when she is not having fun.

luvbeinmama Guest

I don't think it's unusual at all. She probably wants to spend all her time playing with everything. She knows she can eat afterward, but she won't be able to play with the stuff there after she leaves. I wouldn't give it a second thought. If she was REALLY hungry, she'd eat.

atlbaby Guest

I also think Sarah may be having too much fun to want to stop to eat. I know at the mommy and me program I take Arielle to (in a preschool setting) there's a set snack time and she ususally only takes a bite or two of something and wants to go right back and play some more. It's actually later than her ususal snack time so I'm sure she would normally have more, but she's too excited about what else she can do! Over the summer when we had this class she would come home STARVING! She would literally inhale 2 servings of mac&cheese and want more! (Needless to say, I was thrilled that she was eating so much food instead of milk!:) ) It may be when Sarah gets more used to the setting and realizes that the toys/fun will still be there after she eats a bit, but like you said she won't starve in four hours! BTW, how's the sleep going now?

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
    #2 EDD 10/24/03:)

Thanks all. I'm sure she's just excited. They do have a set snack time (10 am) and a set lunchtime (noon). I just hope that eventually she starts to eat there!!

And her sleep is a little better. She's sleeping until almost 7 usually, but her naptimes are highly variable. Occasionally she sleeps 2-3 hours, most of the time her nap is only 60-75 minutes. The upside is she seems to be getting to used to it and is less cranky in the afternoons than she was a couple weeks ago when I was really at my wits end. I also figured out tonight that she's getting FOUR teeth. She got two about a month ago and now 4 more. I am really hoping that once these teeth come in her sleep goes back to normal!!!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

sugarsnappea Guest

It sounds very normal to me. ITA with what the others have said. JG NEVER eats when she is having fun. For some reason the Grandmas don't understand this! Whenever I drop her off w/ a family relative or friend she goes without food. As soon as she gets into my car, she sucks down a sippy of milk in record time. :)

cara1 Guest

Hmmm, yeah, I bet she's just having too much fun. The teachers at my daycare center said that most of the kids actually eat better there than they do at home. I think that's true of DS,too. I have always suspected it's because he knows that with me, I'm a pushover and can always get him something else. Still, I wouldn't worry (and I see you're not). Is she eating too much at snack maybe? Or eating nothing the whole time... As long as she eats after you pick her up, I guess that's what you'll do...

megsmom Guest

Meg does this a lot when she's around a large group of kids or there's a lot of fun to be had otherwise(usually she doesn't eat well at our playgroup unless we're sort of tucked away from the action). Also, a lot of the kids in the preschool there may be used to daycare already and are used to eating in a setting such as this. Sarah may associate eating as something she does with you since that is what she has always done, and not at preschool.

You mentioned teeth as well, and Meg does lots of food avoidance with teeth. Either way, as you mentioned she won't starve in this little time frame. I'm so glad she is enjoying her new school. What a blessing for you both.

Jen
    mom to Meghan 7/13/01
    and #2 EDD 11/12/03

Yeah!!! She ate most of her lunch today! :)