Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    brigmaman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default What do you do with dc when you shower?

Sort of a wierd question I guess. I am just wondering because this has always been sort of a struggle for us. My dh leaves pretty early (around 6:15), before I get up, so it is just my 15 month old ds and I in the a.m. Recently, I have started putting him in his high chair with a Sesame Street movie on. He won't just play in his crib, so that is out. What do you all do?

brubeck Guest

Default RE: What do you do with dc when you shower?

Well first of all I shower in the evening when DH is usually home!

However when I am alone with the kids I usually put one of them in our gated play area and take the other with me into the bathroom. I have a few toys up there and the shower door is glass so I can see the child at all times. I lock the door so they can't get out of my sight.

cdlamis is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bring Julia (16 months) into our bathroom with me and lock the door. I bring some toys in and she has a blast throwing them into the shower or stacking them on the counter.

Daniella
    Mom to Julia 6-13-02
    http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=...21b32dc745c42b

sarasprings Guest

I usually shower when DH is at home, but if not, then DS plays in the bathroom, with the door shut. We keep a few books and toys just for my shower time.

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm lucky in that DH is usually able to watch DS for a few minutes while I shower in the mornings. However, when it's too hectic, I do the Sesame Street-high chair thing too. I've watched TV with him often enough to know that he won't budge when Sesame Street is on so I'm not worried about him getting into any trouble in the highchair.

A girlfriend of mine was saying she sets up her daughter's playpen in the bathroom while she showers. My bathroom's too little for that, but I thought it sounded like a good idea.

Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I put some toys in the hall, gate the stairs, pull the bedroom doors closed, and let her run around while I shower. Sometimes she comes in and hangs on the edge of the tub to talk to me. Occasionally she slings a toy in, but usually she does just fine. We've been doing this since she was about eleven months old. It is far less stressful for both of us than when I used to stick her in the crib or playpen while I showered.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

cara1 Guest

Other alternative is to get up super-early before DS wakes up and shower. Depends how much of an early-riser you got there...

newbelly2002 Guest

Shower? What's that :)

In another situation, I would let Dante play in the bathroom. But we've got a long narrow bathroom with steps, and the shower is the bathtub with a handheld faucet and no shower curtain. A recipe for disaster no matter how you cut it. The television holds no power for Dante; and our high chair doesn't have a beltstrap. I can sometimes get away with putting on the Songs for Wiggleworms CD (thank you Nohomama!) and washing in record time, otherwise, it's catch as catch can.

Wow, I've just assured myself no visitors, huh?
    Paula
    Mama to Dante, 8/1/02

mamahill Guest

I turn on Sesame Street, and bring a couple toys and books into my room, shut my bedroom door and leave our bathroom door open. Ainsleigh used to sit on the bath mat and sing with me until she decided it was more fun to pull stuff out of my cabinet (including her favorite: tampons!). Thank goodness for that since on the weekends I would whine to DH, "I just want a shower I don't have to sing through!!" Now Ainsleigh will just play/watch tv, but the second I turn the water off, she runs in to say, "Hi! All done!" And afer I say, "Yes, but now I need to dry off," she goes back to her toys. I get the feeling not all children act this way, though. I have a fairly docile (for the most part) child.

muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, unfortunately, sometimes Nick just wanders around. He usually is good about playing in the bathroom or my bedroom, however, sometimes he does like to explore the 2nd floor. Unfortunately, he is a good climber and can't be contained by a gate, and can unlock all doors. I still try to contain him, but I am not always successful depending on his mood and tv doesn't always do it for him. I am at a loss at what else to do.

DH travels alot, and its not uncommon for me to skip a day showering, but sometimes I have no choice. I look forward to the weekends when I can take a leisurely shower at my own pace!

Susan
    WAHM to Nicholas 10/01/01
    & Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast