egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have a tooth grinder?

Recenlty, in the last week or so, DD has started grinding her teeth. She doesn't do it when eating or sleeping, but just in general,, when playing or whatever.

Is this something I should be concerned about or is this a normal toddler experimental thing?

Thanks!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

trumansmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Anyone have a tooth grinder?

Truman went through this for a few weeks a couple of months ago. Then he stopped. I chalked it up to just an experimental thing.

Jeanne
    Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My DS does this and I hope it is experimental and he decides to STOP. "STOP" is what I snap at him when I hear it. I don't mean to snap and I feel so bad when he gives me this look and says "sorry."

He could through a tantrum and it doesn't phase me but that grinding noise drives me crazy.

Anyway, I'm working on calmness and plan on asking the Dr. about it.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

brubeck Guest

Amy did it for a short while right after she turned 2. We had our first visit to the dentist a couple of months ago (right after she turned 3) and he didn't notice anything amiss (if that makes you feel better)!

mamahill Guest

Ainsleigh does this every now and then and it drives me nuts. I try not to show it though, so she won't "use" it. Instead, I just say, "Please don't grind your teeth." Not that necessarily understands what I'm saying, but it snaps her out of whatever reverie she is in, and it's usually in her "zoning out" that she does grind. I'm hoping it's just a phase thing...

vikivoly Guest

We had a tooth grinder. She even chipped one of her teeth a bit. I'm not sure if this still relates to you or not, but when I spoke with some of the women at Early Intervention about it they suggested it could be from some of the frustration of her being behind on her motor skills. She did a few other strange things that I would rather not get into, but as soon as she got caught up with crawling and walking the grinding stopped. They called it "self-stimulation". I think it's fairly common though, but just thought I would mention it because I know you experienced some of the same delays with Sarah.

Another tooth grinder here. DS goes in spurts, but I've often noticed it after he gets a new tooth, FWIW.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)