Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    raynjen Guest

Default RE: Constipation update!

What worked for us was no TV/videos until you go... now I have a child who goes twice a day! Initially I put new DVDs in the bathroom where she could see them, but not reach them. Every time she asked for it (which was everytime we were in or by the bathroom) I said, "not until you poop in the potty" it took about 3 days before this soaked in and she decided to go - she's been a regular pooper ever since.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)

atlbaby Guest

Jen, I'm going to try this myself! For the past two weeks, since Arielle stopped wearing diapers and began wearing underwear (or Easy Ups), she's not been pooping much at all. She's only pooped three times in the past seven days, and she used to be a once-a-day (or more!) kid. Twice it's been while she was sleeping (in her Easy Up) and once it was on the potty. So she's definitely withholding. What's odd to me is that she isn't complaining about tummy aches, though. Occasionally, she'll ask for a diaper (so I know she's thinking about pooping) but when I redirect her to the potty she doesn't complain...but she doesn't go.

I fed her a lot of fruits and veggies today, but she still didn't go. I think I'll try the "no videos/tv until you poop" method tomorrow, and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
    and Daliya, 10/27/03

Jeanmick Guest

Thanks for the idea! I'm definitely going to try this one! BTW...she had a bowel movement the evening after my posting. Today we're on Day #3 of no poop. Wish me luck! :)

raynjen Guest

! ! ! LUCK LUCK LUCK ! ! !

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 2/3)
    Architect in a previous life!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: DD with constipation problems!

Ds seems to have a really sensitive digestive tract as well. We just became juice-pushers, give probiotics to aid with digestion and in a real pinch - refried beans. Some things we try to keep WAY OUT of the diet: bananas, cheese, applesauce. For example, Ds has maybe 4 slices of banana and a tiny bit of swiss cheese 3 days ago and has not gone since. We try to regularly include in his diet: apple/orange/pear juice, black beans, oatmeal and lots of fresh fruit. I don't like to use suppositories b/c I don't want his body to become dependent on them.

Figures, we're going away tomorrow, too. I hope he can go in the AM before we leave. He only poops on the potty (this also extremely helped him with going b/c now it has somewhere to go) but he's not keen on big toilets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2