Default Help with Slow and Steady book activites

Hi, I just got my Slow and Steady book in the mail yesterday based on Beth's rec and others and I have to say, I am SO excited to do some of the activities with both girls. I have looked at similar type books but they seemed too "crafty" (which I am NOT) or too much work!(LOL), but this one seems right up my alley..

Only question for Beth and anyone else is how to get started. Noelle will be 3 in September so I wanted to know some favorite activites to start with before I just do the age ones. Lindsey is 9 months old so if anyone started really early, I would love to know their take on the infant ones too.

THanks so much for your help!
    Mary
    mom to Noelle and Lindsey

atlbaby Guest

Default RE: Help with Slow and Steady book activites

Mary, I just got mine in the mail last week, and I was going to post the exact same question! I'm very UNcrafty. :) I'm looking foward to hearing others' suggestions on favorite activites from earlier in the book for Arielle, and some infant ones for Daliya (soon to be 8 months) too.

Thanks!

-Rachel
    Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
    and Daliya, 10/27/03

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, I think most of the activities are pretty good. I just do them in order, so to speak, but we don't do them every week, so I often skip ones that don't sound interesting to me or that I don't happen to have the "ingredients" on hand, and just move on to the next one. I didn't do any infant ones, since I didn't get the book until she was already 18 months old.

Sarah always particularly enjoys the activities where we make something, like a hat or decorate a shoebox type thing.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not only am I not that crafty I really like things in order. So, we work through the book in order. More times that not we are doing S&S at 11am.
    I am now going through the book for the second time. It is interesting to see big brother enjoy the activities with his little sister. Sometimes he acts like the Mommy and I get to see his perception of how I interact with him.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Is this the book you are using?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Is it a developmental + activity book or is there just an activity book?
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

sugarsnappea Guest

Thanks Beth! I meant to post this earlier. This book was exactly what I was looking for. :)

JG really enjoys the tasting and smelling activities.

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That is the book. I am not sure if I can answer your question. For me it is not just another activity book. I say that b/c all of the "activity" book that I have collected sit undisturbed on the shelf.

The book was written by a Kgarten teacher and is very simple. I once read a review, I think here, that the ideas were to simple - "I could of thought of them myself." So maybe it is for the less creative Mom. I hate to say anything negative about the book b/c we use it lots.

It definitely is developmental. Sometimes though my DS was not ready for the activity of the week. We just went back to it later on.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It is definitely developmental. I put the book away for awhile since my DD was such a late walker. I was depressed by all the gross motor activities that she couldn't do, LOL. We went back and did those after she was walking. And I agree it isn't just an activity book. It is designed to grow with your child. I find it helpful and inspiring without being too gimicky, if you know what I mean.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)