Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: How many presents do you give your child for their birthday?

A couple gifts, found it really depends as they get older you get requests ;) For instance last year my eldest wanted a scooter.

My kids only get gifts from us, sometimes my mother will get them something...but in the end it's up to us, so their isn't a bunch of family to get things from.

Go with what you feel comfortable with, i honestly don't think their is a "wrong" answer it's such a personal choice :)
    ~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/...blobflower.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

Beth, congratulations on Sarah's birthday! I can't believe she's going to be three! In our whole two birthday's worth of experience, we give one big present. For her first birthday it wasn't even that big, we got her a wooden growth chart to mark the occassion for us. We knew the presents from the Aunts and Grandparents would keep her busy. For her second birthday we bought her a kitchen set and we didn't have it until a couple of weeks after the party. Again, there was so much going on at her party that she didn't notice.

Since Sarah may not have a lot of other presents to open at her party, what about two of the things from your toy closet list in addition to the animals and building blocks? If I get to pick,;-) I'd say Thomas and the bridge. I want to know if she likes it because I'm thinking that Roley needs a train!

Have a great birthday, mom!

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

jubilee Guest

I typically gave my oldest 2-3 gifts on his birthday when he was little. Now that he's older, the items that interest him have gone up in price- so he's lucky to get 1 gift- ha ha! The one problem of over-giving on a birthday, is that it's hard to top it the next year... so don't start anything you don't want to continue. That said, I LOVE giving gifts, so I tend to buy stuff and wrap it up and give "just because I love you" gifts a few times a year.

Anyway, hope Sarah has a great birthday! :)

sugarsnappea Guest

Happy Birthday Sarah! :)

I try not to go overboard in the gift department. Here is what she received from us.

Radio Flyer kids Wheelbarrow and plastic garden rake
    The Complete Adventures of Curious George book
    Madeline book
    Carl's Birthday book
    One new outfit from Gymboree

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We typically give Charlotte 3-5 things - one big, one medium and the rest very small like blocks, animals, or books. Would you consider saving the dollhouse and furniture for the holiday season? If so, the rest seems plenty.

I started my "toy closet" early in the year so I'm essentially ready for her birthday and Christmas. We're giving here a Buzz Light Year Bubble Blower, a music set that has bells, a triangle, and a tambourine, and a carousel music box that has 4 little drawers to put her bracelets in. So nothing big for her birthday. I'm stumped for something big this year.

Hope the party goes over well and Sarah enjoys her day!

You made me think of Dudley from Harry Potter saying he didn't have as many gifts as last year and being mad!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Wow, I can't believe she is three! I have no idea how much is too much. I think I would hold off or either the doll house or train depending on which she would like better. My dh found my stash of board books for dd. (I found tons of Sandra Boynton books at Marshalls for 4.00)I had to explain that she would be overwhelmed and a new book every once in a while makes them a special treat.

Now all this talk of birthdays is making me think of what I need to do for my dd's bd and all of her little friends who are born between Oct - Feb. Yikes where did the summer go!?

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Happy Birthday to Sarah! I don't even remember what I got DS last year for his birthday so I don't think it was a whole lot. But this year I want to get him a Thomas Figure 8 set, a Little People Ramps Around Garge and the Signing Time Vol 4-6 DVDs (if available). These are three "large" presents in my book though, so I'm not sure about getting all of them. I would also like a whole bunch of Thomas accessories but I think that definitely would be too much stuff all at once. Maybe I will order accessories at the same time and give those to him for Christmas. I might see if my mom will buy him the garage. She will go overboard anyway. Plus we are flying to Massachusetts (from Iowa) for my sister's wedding 3 days after he turns 2 so I imagine he will get some gifts from my family then since they don't see him very often.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

lukkykatt Guest

Well, this is a tricky question. My older son's birthday is just after Christmas and I tend to give him a few medium to smaller presents since we are in toy overload at that point. And my younger son is 2, so he is still somewhat unaware - I got him a trike and I think that was it.

I agree with a PP that I would save the dollhouse and furniture and make that a main present in the future.

Kate888 Guest

WOW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Miss Sarah!! Three already? What a great age :)

For DD's first birthday, we had a small/casual dinner with friends. She got some toys at the party, but the only gift she got from us was the gourmet cake full of fresh fruits. Yummy! She loved it! I still remembered her face when she tried fresh cream for the first time :)

For the second birthday, we were in Taiwan with grandparents. I didn't get her anything special, except...you guessed it, a big gourmet stawberry cake with stawberry pudding inside. Too bad I had food poisoning and couldn't enjoy the cake. We did get her some small toys, but that's it. Her grandparents gave her $600 as gifts which I saved for her in the bank.

The reason I didn't get her anything big for her birthdays was that she could care less and she already had more toys than needed. For her third year, we'll get some gifts for sure. Maybe a leggo set, books and some art supplies. Oh, and a great cake :)

Have fun at the birthday party!!

Kate
    Mama to Maya 2-17-02 and Polo (my big black dog)http://www.mothering.com/discussions...milies/dog.gif

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/ptrose.gif

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast