christic Guest

Default Thank you notes from your toddler?

So for the first time we threw a birthday party that included people other than family members. Now it's time to write thank you notes and I'm not sure how to handle it, and we haven't been to enough parties ourselves to recognize what the custom is for this sort of thing. Do you:

1. Write the note as a parent to the other parents.

2. Write the note as a parent to the other children.

3. Write the note as the child to the other children.

If we've received thank yous at all they've been in style #3, but it seems a little odd to me to write a note pretending to be my daughter. Or is that just how it's done? I need to stop thinking about this and get the notes out, help!

Thanks!
    Chris

brubeck Guest

Default RE: Thank you notes from your toddler?

I almost always do #3. Something like, 'Thank you for the doll. Perhaps you can come over sometime and we can play with it together.'.

To add a personal touch I make the child sign their name (or scribble if they can't) so it's obvious that the actual recipient had their hands on the Thank You note. :)

nitaghei Guest

How about option #4?

I write jointly (DS & I), thanking the parents and child, and sign with both our names. The card itself says "Thank you from DS" on the front. This has always seemed the best option to me - it involves the children, without having the parent pretending, KWIM? Once DS is older - by next year - he'll have to do at least some sort of scribble - that's the plan, at least. :)

HTH

Nita
    mom to Neel, January 2003
    dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

alaible Guest

I have always written the notes from the child to who ever the gift was from. If the name on the gift tag was a childs name I wrote the card from child to child. If the name on the gift tag was Aunt Susie I wrote the card from child to Aunt Susie.

christic Guest

Well we sort of did a cross between options #4 & #3--Alice scribbled on about half of them and I "translated" :). The rest I wrote myself after she got bored with the whole thing. Kind of a hodgepodge but they're DONE!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Chris

C99 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I always write them from me to the child and parents, so kind of a combo of #1 and #2. Thank you notes are supposed to be written from one person to one or more people, and since Nate can't write or express his thoughts yet, this makes sense to me. I've gotten a few of #3 and they always strike me as odd. When he gets older, I will probably transcribe for him.
    Caroline, mama to DS 01/03, DD 05/05, DS 04/07
    http://littleshoulders.blogspot.com
    "Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

I agree with you totally but darn it if I didn't just do this exact thing(#3) not two weeks ago. Can't explain why. Just did.

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind for future thank you's.

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Yeah! We made it a year!