Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default two-year molars?

Could the tiny tip of one of them be what's causing my DD to wake up two and three times at night? She usually sleeps 11-12 hours straight, so this seems brutal! I've started giving her Motrin at bedtime, but she's still waking. This is the first one of the two-year molars, so we may be in for a long haul. Do you think it's teething pain or just the new habit of waking up and wanting Mommy?

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

brubeck Guest

Default RE: two-year molars?

Unfortunately with teething you never know for sure. It MIGHT be teething but it might not. If you're giving her motrin and it's still an issue then that IMO points to another cause.

I suppose if you wanted to be really sure you could try putting some Orajel on her new tooth the next time she wakes up.

HTH!

raynjen Guest

We had a lot of night wakeups with the molars. I thought we'd never sleep through the night again! One thing that worked for us was to give her Motrin/Tylenol when she woke and then put her back down. However, our daughter LIKES to take medicine so I think the psychological aspect of doing something helped her get back to sleep and stay asleep.

Oh, and the 2nd molar overlapped in time with the first one and wasn't nearly as bad. Good luck!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to a wonderful preschooler,
    who just turned three, Noelle!

I think our kiddos are twins, it seems they have a lot in common! Just two days ago, I noticed DD was really chewing on her fingers, putting them way in the back. She let me feel around, and one of her 2 year molars had poked through, just a tiny little bit. She has been having trouble sleeping (waking early from nap, having a hard time going to sleep at night, and waking in the middle of the night). I think it's got to be the molars because she isn't sick and is fine during the day (well except for the mood swings, lol!)

Another thought is that about 2 months ago DD started eating more, and we started giving her a snack right before bed because she was waking up and we could hear her stomach growling. That seemed to help tide her over, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the molars!

Lisa

LOL, Lisa! They do seem to have a lot in common, don't they? Too bad we aren't friends IRL, or we could have fun playdates! :-)

2 years and counting!

Helen,

She takes the Motrin and goes to bed at 7:00, and is waking up around 1:00 a.m. So, I guess it's feasible that it could have worn off at that point. I may try having another dose ready in case the nightwakings continue.

2 years and counting!

brubeck Guest

So how's it going Lucy? Is your DD still waking upi?

Helen,

Thanks for asking! Well, I wish I could say it was the molars causing her to wake, but I don't think it is. She is still waking some, but also has slept through the night (with no Motrin) and had some good naps, too.

She goes to bed between 7 and 7:30, and has been waking between midnight and 1:00 a.m. If DH goes in to comfort her, she screams and won't let him near her. She is in a big "mommy only" stage right now, and it is breaking DH's heart. I really feel for him. Anyway, if I go in, she wants to nurse. So, depending on my level of tiredness and my tolerance for letting her cry, I've been either going to get her to nurse, or letting her CIO. Usually, one night of CIO is all it takes for her, but she is still waking off and on. So, I really don't know what to do. We moved to a new house about a month ago, so maybe she is still adjusting. And, I guess she is old enough now to be scared that she's alone when she wakes at night. I will often hear her on the monitor saying, "I want blankie." Blankie is always right beside her in her bed, but I think she gets upset and forgets to look.

So, any advice now that molars may not be the culprit?

2 years and counting!

brubeck Guest

I had the same problem when my kids would 'lose' their lovey under the covers. I would tuck a piece of it into their PJ sleeves so that they could find it. Failing this, I know a Mom who used a pacifier clip to clip a blankie to PJs so it wouldn't get lost at night.

For my (albeit older) DD giving her a doll/stuffed animal before bed and telling her that it will protect her helped a lot.

We have had three straight nights of all-night sleep, so hopefully things are looking up! I've probably just jinxed myself, though, by posting this!

2 years and counting!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast