Default Getting rid of the Pacifier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was unable to find anything about getting rid of our"boppy" on another forum so I came here!!!! DD is 27 months and uses her pacifier for sleep at night and nap time and when she gets hurt or upset. I must admit I rely on it heavily in the car. Well this week we are going to try and let it go. We have a very close neighbor down the street who just had a new baby. Since January we have been talking about Dawson coming and how he needed "boppies" and how she could give hers to him. She is excited about doing it, I just don't know that he will be keeping them. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas concerning thiis. We were going to get rid of them last fall and then found out she was having surgery and would be in a body cast for six weeks, I would give them up during that so now here we are, once again, planning for D-Day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Jane
    Madeline's Mom
    1/20/03

Default RE: Getting rid of the Pacifier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dd would have 2 or 3 at a time! We started sharing them with her stuffed tiger, and would leave him guarding them at home for short car trips. We were working on longer car trips when my dd fell and busted her lip. I told her the binky would get her lip yucky and she couldn't have them. She was so sad. After the doctor visit, we went to the Disney store. She picked out a Belle doll to hold instead of binky.
    That actually put an end to her binky use except for bed time. It was actually easier than I thought it would be.

So try gradual weaning/bribes? lol

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

chris0129 Guest

Default RE: Getting rid of the Pacifier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if you resolved your issue, but I have something that worked for us. It might sound alittle mean, but it's not meant to be (sometimes tough love is interpreted in that way). I actually cut the pacifier completely off from the plastic holder and put it back in her crib. When it was almost time to go to bed (about 20 minutes prior) (right before we were going to read stories), I acted suprised and said "Lauren, look in your crib, your binky looks like it's broken". She held it while we read stories and kept saying "binky broken" (she is 2). She wanted to hold onto the plastic part (which I let her for 2 nights) and then I took it upon myself to throw it away. It was definately easier than I thought and I was glad that I finally did it. I think you have to be prepared for whatever is to come (crying/screaming, etc.), but once you make up your mind that it's what you want, stick with it and don't go back. They really need to learn how to soothe themselves to sleep at some point in their lives- it just depends on when you're ready to deal with any consequences. Don't get me wrong, she definately has a harder time going to sleep now, but in the long run, she does fall asleep on her own. I hope this helps in some way!