LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How do I convince a two-year old that she still needs a nap?

Please tell me that this isn't the end of naps! For the past few days, my DD (25 months) has been refusing to nap. She has played/cried/talked in her crib for over an hour each day, but hasn't slept. I know she's tired. I read her some books and rock her before putting her down, and she's very relaxed and near sleep. But, when I put her in the crib, she cries and clings to me, then gets so agitated that she can't/won't fall asleep. Part of this may be due to travel last week, but I was hoping she'd return to her usual routine once we were home. No such luck, thus far. By 6:00 p.m., she is exhausted and a mess. She sleeps 11-12 hours at night, but I think she still needs at least a short nap in the afternoons.

Are nap strikes common at this age? Are there any ways I can help her back into a napping pattern? I am soooooooo not ready for her to stop napping!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

hjdong Guest

Default RE: How do I convince a two-year old that she still needs a nap?

I totally understand. I posted about DS wanting to give up his nap, and the majority of the advice was to move the nap later. I moved it back to 2 (from 12:30) and he started falling asleep immediately. I was really concerned about such a late nap, but it hasn't affected him bedtime. After about a week, he started acting really tired about 1, so I've been putting him to nap then, and he's been going right to sleep. I think nap strikes are very common at this age. I would think that perhaps if you rocked her, put her down, and then read stories to her, that might help. Also, I know some people have left some books in the crib with their DC, left them for their normal naptime, and eventually they returned to napping.

Good luck,

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My dd must belong to the same union! I am going to try a later nap time today and see what happens. Yesterday I went into her room after about a half hour and she was standing on her head with her feet on the wall. :o
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

LOL! That's something I could picture my little one doing some day. :)

E

mom to dd 4/5/2004

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
    Yeah! We made it a year!