Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    barbarhow Guest

Default RE: 2 yr. olds - average time for wake-up/bed time & screaming fits

Jack goes to bed at 7:30-usually asleep by 7:45p. For the last month or so he cries when we put him in the crib and sometimes spends 5 minutes calling for Daddy. He knows better than to call for me-I won't let him get up. Usually sleeps until 7am and wakes up yelling Maaaamaaaa! Maaamaaaa! and if I don't respond He calls for "My Daddy". Lately our sleep schedule is all messed up for some reason. I think he is exhausted. I think my DH plays so hard with him that he gets overtired. Hence the 10:30, 3:30 and 6a wake ups last night. Don't tell DH this but I can't wait till he goes back to work so I can get DS back on a normal routine. Jack naps 2-3 hours at home and 1 1/2 the days he is a t daycare.
    So not really any suggestions-just commiseration.
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
    and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

bluej Guest

We just recently moved Ryden's bedtime from 7pm to 8pm. I couldn't imagine having to be home to have him in bed by 7pm throughout the summer. I know there will be many nights that we'll miss the 8pm bedtime as well, but figure he'll handle it better if he's off an hour instead of two. Unfortunately, his later bedtime has not resulted in a later wake time. He wakes b/w 6am and 6:30am. He naps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Naptime starts at about 12:30pm.

Ryden goes down easily for naps and bedtime, but my 7 year old was much like your Lauren. I have no suggestions b/c the only thing that we found that worked for us was to co-sleep. I will say that he outgrew the bedtime crankiness and is a willing sleeper now (things got better at about age 4).

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Up until recently... bedtime 8:30pm, wakeup 7:30am, slept through the night, actually liked going to bed. 1 1/2 hr. nap at daycare.

NOW... refuses to go to bed unless one of us sits with her until she's completely asleep, bedtime around 9:30pm if we're lucky, sometimes wakes in the middle of the night and we get to repeat the process, wakes up anywhere from 5:30 - 7:00am. She is happy when she wakes in the morning at least. Naps unchanged.

No advice, just lots of sympathy!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03... and #2 due Sept 05!

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sarah used to go to bed between 8 - 8:30 p.m. and get up around 6:30 during the week (and, if we're lucky, sometimes 7 a.m. on weekends). Now she is going to be closer to 9 p.m.. These days, her naps are either about 2 hours (during the week and some weekend days) or non-existent (the other weekend days). The past two months or so she has been getting up once an night for something to drink. (Not every night, but more often than not.) I'm not liking that at all, and hope the phase is over soon! I don't get a ton of sleep so even though I can easily fall back asleep, being woken around 3 a.m. leaves me exhausted the next day. :(

I don't really have any advice (sorry!) but wanted to share our times and recent waking up woes.

Hope things get better soon!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not too thrilled with DS's schedule of late, but there isn't much I can do about it. DS also screams when he wakes up but just for a few seconds, more of an alert to us that he is awake. He wakes up about 6 am and goes to bed about 9 pm (we would prefer much earlier, but it just doesn't work lately). At daycare he naps for probably 1.5-2.5 hours 4 days a week. Sat, Sun and Mon we can only get him to nap at home rarely, unless we go somewhere and he falls asleep on the ride home (happened yesterday - yea!). I'm not loving the toddler sleep schedule!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Ditto. Up between 8-9am, and in bed usually around 10. Still takes a 2-3 hour nap starting at 5pm. DH isn't home until 8 or 9pm, so this schedule works for us right now.

Aimee
    Mother to Leah 10/26/02

lizamann Guest

Not at all normal here - dd goes to bed around 10pm and wakes up at exactly 6:45am every day. She naps for about 1.5 hours in the late morning/early afternoon. I think I need more sleep than she does!

Other than waking up cranky and needing cuddle time, I see no signs of sleep deprivation, so I don't worry about it much other than to wish for a couple toddler-free hours at night sometimes.

jk3 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My DS wakes up anywhere from 5:45-6:30. He wakes up screaming every morning. He naps for about 2.5-3 hours each day - typically around 11-2. He's in bed by 7:45 on most nights. Lately he has been waking up frequently in the middle of the night. Not quite sure what this is about!

Jenn
    DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif

Elilly is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Colleen gets up b/w 6 and 6:30. Nap at 12:30 for about 2 1/2 hours the bed b/w 8:00 and 8:30. It's harder to get her into bed at night now with it still being daylight out at 8:00.
    Sorry, no advice on the screaming. DD has been in a queen sized bed since 20 months and will still wait on us to come get her in the AM. We do let her take 3 books to bed and often she will "read" for 20 minutes or so before she falls asleep. It's a quite distraction from being alone in her bed IYKWIM.
    DD 02
    DS 04

chris0129 Guest

Everyone has been so great in responding to my woes! I appreciate all of the feedback and it does help to know that I'm not alone.
    A turn of events has taken place- just my luck! ...Lauren has been moved to a bed because she climbed out of her crib. We are now dealing with her wanting us to "rub her back" until she falls asleep or simply stay in her room. I'm following the Super Nanny technique by moving closer to the door (until I'm finally outside) and continuously putting her back in the bed without any attention. Needless to say, that is taking a lot of time and super patience (because she screams & cries as soon as I put her back in the bed). I initially tried to contain her in her room (with a special door lock), but she broke it and is extremely relentless. (This child doesn't want to miss out on anything and is very determined to get her way- can you tell!!!???) I'm more of the "tough love" parent and want her to be able to soothe herself to sleep. It seems that she has always had a hard time falling asleep (even in her crib) - so why should it be any different now?! I'm hoping this gets easier by being consistent, but I'm soooo tired (just like when she was an infant!) If anyone has been down THIS path, bring it on! Any advice is certainly welcome!
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2