Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    induetime Guest

Default Behavior/Discipline book?

Hi all -

Does anyone have any favorite books that they've read regarding the toddler years and discpline? I just heard the Super Nanny book being promoted but know nothing about it. I'd love any suggestions!

Thanks - Amy

raynjen Guest

Default RE: Behavior/Discipline book?

We like "Dare to Discipline" by Dr. James Dobson and "1,2,3 Magic" as well.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle, 3 1/2

There was just an interesting thread on this topic in the Baby Lounge. Do an advanced search with Unconditional Parenting in the subject line. One poster, near the end, included an article that says SuperNanny is horrible and could have a bad influence on how parents raise their kids. I don't know a lot about the author of that article, but a lot of posters seem to think he is great. I haven't read his book yet. (The guy who wrote the SuperNanny article also wrote Unconditional Parenting.)

Some friends have taken some discipline classes and they were to read Understanding Your Two Year Old. I believe it's by Amy Reid. I'm thinking about going and getting it today - because I really don't know what's going on in the mind of my child. And I'm wondering if my discipline techniques are effective or if they are just going over her head, because it's not working out for us.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The only one I've read so far is 1-2-3 Magic, which may be more useful as she gets older. We have tried their counting technique to curb some behaviors, and have been moderately successful. I may pick up Understanding Your 2 Year Old soon - I think it would be helpful to better understand what might (or might not ;)) be going on inside of her.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been waiting for the book Time Out for Toddlers from the library, I think my SIL liked it.

Phoebe Guest

This is a good one:

parents in charge

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

and this one by John Rosemond... he has a website too if you want to check out this advice before buying a book.

http://www.rosemond.com/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Mary
    DD 4/01
    DS 6/03

m448 Guest

Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline by Becky Bailey

How to Talk So Your Children Will Listen and How to Listen So Your Children Will Talk

Playful Parenting by Lawrence J. Cohen

Also, Biblical Parenting by Crystal Lutton is good and even if you're not christian the tools she provides are great. Short read too.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I haven't read Crystal's book yet but her advice over on the Gentle Christian Mothering board is wonderful. A secular author that uses a lot of the same tools is Jane Nelsen. She wrote "Positive Discipline: The first three years", as well as several others. A series of books that helps understand where your child is coming from is "Your Two Year Old". There is one for every year. I think the author's last name is Ames.

I really liked Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn, but you need to read it twice and it is more of a philosophy rather than a "how-to" book. Another philosophy type book that I really recommend (the only one DH will read) is "The 10 Basic Principles to Good Parenting"

Here is the link to Crystal's information.
    http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/

Here is the link to Jane Nelsen's info.
    http://www.positivediscipline.com/

HTH
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

tigalig Guest

I love the "Love & Logic" books. They have a "magic" something or other for children under six and then the "Parenting with Love & Logic" for children over six. Either one will give you the gist of it: choices all day long, options created by you, and the child will feel empowered. I'm sure some would think it's too authoritarian ("do you want x or y?") instead of letting the child be creative, etc., but when you're at your wits end, try it. I think it can be toned down alot so it's more love, but you don't lose your mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast