Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need help with DS running into the street

Help me out since I am losing my mind over this one. In the past week, Ryan has run into the street no less than 5 times. He has slipped from my grasp about 3 times since I am holding Riley's car seat on the other hand, that is easy to do I guess. I ended up putting her car seat down while chasing him down calling after him. We have done some serious talking about it and he has thrown the "yes, ma'am" answer at me when I finish my brief lecture with "do you understand me Ryan?" but he clearly does not get it. I don't know what else I can do. Picking him up to the car is not an option either since I always have Riley with me. I don't even want to think about how to handle it when she outgrows her infant seat in 2 months. What do you do, short of spanking them, to get them to understand not to run into the street because it is dangerous?

TIA
    Mom to R and R

Default RE: Need help with DS running into the street

What I've been doing because I've witnessed Rachel use the following technique is to tell Martie to hold up the car. Basically she's to put her hand on the car while I'm putting something in it, unlocking the door. It actually works, but I still need to keep an eye on her in case she starts to peel that hand off the car.

-Sonia
    Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

LucyG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have much to offer on this one, but what I do when I have to put DD down in a parking lot is to have her hold onto my leg. I ask her to "hug Mommy's leg." Usually she will do so with a death grip, so I can be fairly certain she won't run away. Granted, I'm not juggling a baby while trying this technique, so it may not be much help to you! I like Sonia's idea of "holding up the car."

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
    2 years and counting!

bluej Guest

I'm having this problem with Ryden as well. And it's all new to me b/c my other kids were great about staying by my side and never wandered off. Ryden runs off and never looks back. If I'm going in one direction, he's going in the opposite. We have a pond across the street from us (that's usually where he is running to) and it's full of geese and their babies. I keep pointing out to Ryden how wonderfully the baby geese line up and follow their mama and don't run off. He doesn't care. I'm at a loss as to how geese can be more obedient than my child, but they are. For the time being I just have the death grip on him and he's usually screaming and trying to get away from me while we go through parking lots (or I'm carrying him and he's throwing his body back and wailing). Sorry, I have no advice, just know that you aren't the only one chasing a toddler around in the street/parking lot.

mharling Guest

We use the 'touch the car' method as well. Another thing I've drilled into him is 'No street without a hand.' Every time we approach a street or parking lot, I ask him what he needs. He usually will say hand and stick his hand up. *Most* times he keeps hold of it. I've been meaning to go find a post by Heather (alleyoop). She had some great things that she's done with her ds. I'll come back and edit with a link when I find it.

ETA: Here is it.... http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...ng_type=search

Mary
    Lane - April 2003
    Faye - March 2005

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had the same problem with DS when he was about 18 months to 2 years. He would run into the street all the time at our house, which was REALLY dangerous given the speed of the cars. We tried everything -- talking, games, going inside and no more playing. The only thing that finally worked was a couple of swift swats on the butt (after dragging him out of the street) quickly followed by a short, stern "no street" warning. It literally only took one time, and he got the message. It wasn't a game to him any more after that.

I usually don't believe in spanking, but when it comes to his safety, I'll use it to absolutely get his attention when nothing else seems to work.

HTH,

Sarah

hjdong Guest

Just a note on the touch car method. If you live somewhere where it gets hot in the summer, the car can get really hot. Guess how I know.x(

If you have some time when you can just take walks with him and practice stopping at the street. DS will get to the end of the sidewalk, stop, and hold up his hand, just because we go for so many walks and it's become so ingrained. It will kind of freak my friends out because he'll be racing down the sidewalk far ahead of us, but he never goes off the sidewalk. However, this doesn't seem to help with parking lots. For that, we've talked about how the cars can't see you and I start repeating it as soon as we venture into a parking lot. It's not 100% effective.

zuzu is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Great suggestions - thanks all!

We haven't tried "holding up the car" but that sounds like a good one for when we're out. Sarah goes through phases where she is better than others about hand holding, so I may try the leg menthod too.

Our street issues have cropped up more at home lately. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and luckily don't see much traffic. Sarah likes to run from the end of our driveway across the road to the circle. We really need to keep working on the "no street without a hand concept" at home. Often she is playing on the front yard or chalking up in the driveway and spontaneously decides to run across to the circle. We'll try being stricter about bringing her inside right away when she does that, instead of giving her more that once chance.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

younhiekim Guest

I get this problem periodically w/ Zara. Now, keep in mind that I only have Zara; I don't know if this would work b/c you have two little ones.

Whenever Zara ran into the street, we immediately went into the house. Usually, I give her warnings when she's disobedient, but b/c I feel so strongly about her running into our somewhat busy street, she would be immediately picked up and plopped into the house. Truthfully, I don't know how this would work w/ another child, so I don't know if this would work. Maybe Riley could be in a sling or baby bjorn? I honestly don't know.

When we would be away from the house, she would immediately be put in the back seat of the car while I moved to the front. If we'd be away from the car (like going for a walk in the neighborhood) I'd pick her up and put her in the stroller -- no mean feat, trying to strap in a wiggly and angry girl!

Again, I don't really know if this'd work for you. I have found that Zara will listen for a while, but as time would go on, she'll test the limits again.

My sympathies to you! I hope you find a solution.

HTH,
    YounHie

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I struggle with this too and I don't have a baby to worry about. The only thing I can do is tell him that we don't open the door to leave the house unless he holds my hand. Then I squeeze like mad and don't let go. Sometimes I'll tell him he can "drive" so that I can get the rest of the stuff in the car--that way he goes right to the driver's seat, opens the door and gets in so he can pretend drive. Not a great method, but it works for now.

FWIW, I'm impressed that Ryan says "ma'am"! I can barely get Matthew to say "yes"!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast