tny915 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Thoughts on "Happiest Toddler on the Block"?

I just wanted to know whether the tantrum-preventing methods promoted in this book have worked for anyone. Haven't read the entire thing yet, but it basically says that when your toddler has a tantrum, you need to use short phrases said with lots of emotion (think caveman language)to mirror what your toddler is thinking and feeling. The louder the tantrum, the louder you speak back. I'll use DD as an example: Say she doesn't want to leave toy store and throws a tantrum. I'm supposed to say, "NO GO! Alyssa wants NO GO! Alyssa wants MORE PLAY!" etc, repeat. The book says repeating this in this language she understands will get her attention. She'll supposedly calm down quicker and then be more open to my distractions to get her out of the store.

I've only tried this half-heartedly because when I'm doing it I feel like I'm validating her tantrum and I'm not sure I want to be doing that...
    Anyway, no luck so far.

So what do you think? Has anyone tried this?
    DD1 2003
    DD2 2008

annabellesmom Guest

Default RE: Thoughts on "Happiest Toddler on the Block"?

bump,

I feel the same as the pp but if it really works maybe I'll try harder. It just doesn't seem to make much sense to me, to say something that they want you when you'd like them to do the oppisite.